*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2103893-Frosty-the-axe-murderer
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #2103893
Featured in Mystery Newsletter December 7, 2016
 Frosty the... axe murderer  (13+)
Featured in Mystery Newsletter December 7, 2016
#2103893 by Chris Breva


961 words

It was still early in the winter when the big blizzard struck. It snowed nearly three feet, which was perfect for building a snowman of course. Several of the towns kids got together and did just that. They built a huge snowman with two chunks of coal for eyes, a carrot nose, and several pieces of coal for a mouth. The one problem they had was that they could find nothing to use for arms. They had one nice stick but a snowman with only one arm? They looked around and came up with a solution. One of the little boy's father was a wood chopper. As such he had several axes. They borrowed two of the axes and used them as snowman arms. A little girl suggested that they dress their creation. The snowman looked naked with only a corn cob pipe adorning him. When they all agree to dress him, one of the children suggested asking the old woman who lived in a nearby house for something to put on the snowman. It was said by some that she was a witch but most people didn't believe it. Most of the kids believed it though and they all refused to go except one brave little girl named Sally.

"Hello," the old lady answered as Sally stood at her door. "I see you children have built a nice snowman. I'll bet you'd like something to put on him wouldn't you? Well you came to the right place. The only thing I have however, is an old hat. Put it on him and magic will happen."

She gave Sally the hat and Sally ran with it the group of waiting children. "That was awfully brave of you", said Benjamin. "So what did the old witch say?"

"She gave me a hat to put on him", Sally answered. "She said the hat was magic."

"Well then she is a witch" Carolyn replied. "Maybe we shouldn't use the hat?"

"It will be okay" James, an older child replied. "I don't believe in that hocus-pocus stuff anyway. She's probably just a mean old lady."

"Must not be too mean" answered Jenny. "She gave us a hat."

Sally pulled the hat out of the bag and they placed it on the snowman's head. Suddenly the snowman's smile curled upwards into a scowl and the two lumps of coal became glowing red eyes. The snowman had come to life and he wasn't going to be nice! He wiggled a little and started to shake. "How dare you little hoodlums turn my beautiful snow into large balls", he asked. "You will all pay for doing so as will your families!"

With that said he began to raise the axes above his head as the frightened and stunned children looked on. Once he had both axes above his head he quickly buried the blade of the left ax into James' head, killing him instantly. "Now tell me you don't believe in hocus-pocus you little bastard", the snowman yelled. "They call me Frosty because not only am I made of snow but my heart is ice cold!"

Most of the kids had now saw the seriousness of the situation and made good their escape. Along with James however, Frosty had managed to bury his axes in two more, killing one and fatally wounding the other. She was paralyzed as he had chopped into her back. It would take a few hours of excruciating pain until she died. Frosty realized this and the knowledge brought a credulous grin to his face.

"I'll kill every one of you kids" he bellowed after the now retreating children. "I'll kill everybody in this stinking town!"

He set out in pursuit of the children, sliding easily and with incredible speed across the snow. Moments later he beheaded a teenage girl and set out after a group of children who were outside the old woman's door, begging for their lives. The old woman opened the door but wouldn't permit the children entrance. "I see you placed the magic hat on his head" the old woman said. "I told you that if you did you'd find the results to be quite magical. I'm going to use Frosty to make all you noisy little rug rats and your useless families magically disappear! Come and get the little brats my pet!"

Some of the children managed to escape but those who had run to the witch's house were all victims of her evil. The one's who escaped however made it to their homes and warned their parents. The parents didn't want to believe them but the blood covering some of the children could not be denied. So the parents sent for the constable, who arrived minutes later.

"Who did this", the constable asked. "And don't feed me some story about a snowman coming alive.",

"Why not" a voice said behind him. "The story is true."

The next thing anybody knew the constable had blood squirting from his mouth as he crumpled to the ground. Before he died he managed to turn and shoot a snowman.

The others quickly ran for the safety of the house. Frosty knew he would have to wait them out. If he went into the house the heat would melt him. So he waited. He waited for hours but they didn't come out.

He decided that it was time to take action so he began to chop down the door. This led to his undoing though because a brave adult stood just inside the door by the wall. When the door gave way and Frosty entered the premises the man grabbed the hat from Frosty's head. Frosty immediately became just a simple snowman, melting on the man's floor.

961 words

Featured in "Mystery Newsletter (December 7, 2016)
© Copyright 2016 Chris Breva (marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2103893-Frosty-the-axe-murderer