*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2109643-Camping-101
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2109643
Flash Fiction
Camping 101

“I don’t smell any smoke yet.” Susan said, walking back from checking out the pond.

“Give it time, it takes time.” Gerald kept rubbing the two sticks together.

“How do you even know how to do this?” Susan asked.

“I watched a video.”

“You mean you’ve never done it before?”

“No, but it looked pretty straight forward. Dry wood, dry leaves, friction. How hard could it be?”

“Where are the matches?”

“I didn’t bring any…’

“You brought us camping without bringing anything to start a fire with because you watched a video…”

“Well, it looked easy.”

She sighed, “I’m hungry. What did you plan for food?”

“Fish and roasted potatoes.”

Fish and roasted potatoes? That’s all? How about marshmallows to toast?

“I thought we’d be full of fish and roasted potatoes. There’s coffee.”

“Cold coffee and raw potatoes, great. Well, at least we have a tent. Where are the sleeping bags?”

“Gerald looked up. “Ah…”

“You didn’t pack sleeping bags…”

“I thought you would.”

“Me? Why would I? This was your idea! All I brought was what I could carry in my backpack. Why would you think I’d pack sleeping bags?”

“Because you’re the camper. I thought you’d automatically know what to bring.”

“I’m the camper? What gave you the idea I was a camper?”

“You told me you used to be a Camp Fire Girl.”

“I was eight…”

“Huh. You know, I think I remember passing a motel back on route three…”

“I sincerely hope we did Cupcake, pack up.”
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2109643-Camping-101