*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2116649-Daddys-Way
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2116649
Flash Fiction. Who said mothers were the only ones to practice the art of invention?
         With an open diaper pin clenched between his teeth, and two corners of a cloth diaper pinched tight against his squirming infant daughter's skin, Will had his hands full. How does Maria do this? Watching her change the baby, it had looked so easy. He didn't remember the flailing arms, the kicking feet, or the twisting and turning. His daughter was determined to roll over onto her stomach. Who knew this would be wrestling?
         Come on, Will urged himself, think. You're a capable adult. You build things with your hands. Are you going to let a baby best you? What do you do to hold a project, and free up your hands? Seeing the girl babble and giggle, inspiration struck.
         Scooping up baby and diaper, Will lowered her to the nursery's carpeted floor. He fenced her in with his legs on either side of her body. There, he'd created a makeshift frame. Now he had two hands to tackle the job at hand.
          As he pointed the sharp pin toward the cloth, Will hesitated. What if he pierced that delicate skin? Peering around the room, he spied a roll of duct tape. Tearing off a long strip, he quickly wrapped it around and around the diaper. Mission accomplished. As far as he was concerned it was a save in the Daddy win column. Duct tape really was a miracle product.
          Reaching to pick up his child, Will wiped his perspiring brow dry. He still had an hour before his wife returned. Plenty of time to prepare his defence.
(258 words )
© Copyright 2017 SandraLynn Team Florent! (nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2116649-Daddys-Way