*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2121005-Day-Seven---Halloween
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2121005
This is Day Seven of the Promptly Potter Challenge. It's another SpaceWizard mystery.
SpaceWizards
(Another SpaceWizards Action/Adventure Mystery)


Halloween is a holiday celebration that is celebrated at least one day a year on several million planets. Most of them aren’t called that. But there are a couple of thousand that do. And they all basically celebrate it in the same way. There are slight differences in all of them. But the common theme is the same. The same is true about how often they do it. Most of them are only one day, night. But for a lot, it’s a week or a month. And there are several that it’s a year. Voig is one of them. Every tenth year they celebrate Halloween for a whole year. That’s what this story is about.


“Halloween”

A Short Story

Remembered By

Stavon


     A spaceship just shot four Laser Bolts about three feet long at another spaceship about half a mile away. The bolts suddenly appeared just above the firing spaceship seconds as they headed for the second one. All four bolts struck the back of it. That spaceship’s back lifted slightly for a few seconds before it returned to normal.

     Mairon landed hard in the chair behind the controls to SpaceWizard’s spaceship. He swiveled around in this chair to face the other six SpaceWizards and two new individuals. “Is everyone okay, especially you two?”

     The other six SpaceWizards nodded their heads ‘yes' as they continued mumbling. Stavon and Borrele sat in front of Unnim and Octa. Yena and Pacill sat behind them. While Jacci sat beside Unnim and Angoria sat beside Octa. All six had them surrounded. Unnim noticed Stavon then Jacci nod 'yes,' so he did the same thing. So did Octa when she saw Borrele then Angoria does it.

     After swiveling back in front of the view screen, Mairon tapped a button on his controls. A second later an image of both spaceships appeared on the large view screen. Mairon tapped another three buttons, and three Metal Balls appeared below their spaceship seconds before they jetted toward the back spaceship.

     Horrald suddenly appeared floating above his spaceship five times his normal size. He closed his eyes and mumbled something. A few seconds later a pair of hands only about twice his size appeared in front of him. When he clapped his hands together, the huge hands slapped the three Metal Balls between them. A little smoke escaped between the fingers a second later. Horrald still holding his hands toward the SpaceWizard’s spaceship he fired four more, two from each hand, Laser Bolts at them. But they didn’t come out of those fingertips. It was from the huge ones.

     Mairon’s eyes bugged out in shock. “Keep spelling the Protective Shield spell. We are probably going to need it this time.”

     A few seconds later Mairon saw the Laser Bolts hit them. They lifted a little on the view screen. But nothing happened. Mairon looked over at the Image Monitor. It showed engines repairing themselves.

     Loose, sparking, wires returned to their insides. Pieces of metal covering those holes. A red glow appeared on the edge of that covering. Mairon looked at the Data Monitor on his other side. It showed the number eighty-five. A few seconds later it became eighty-six. “My Repair spell is working. The engines are almost repaired. Se should be able to use Super Speed within a few minutes.”

     Horrald opened up both pair of hands, his hand and the huge ones, and a few seconds later the two gigantic Metal Balls shot out at them toward the SpaceWizard’s spaceship. But just a few inches away from it that spaceship zipped away. A few seconds later and it couldn’t be seen.

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     Mairon swiveled around to face the eight others there. “We should be safe for at least a few hours, if not days before Horrald shows up again. Now we can get back to what we were talking about before Horrald showed up.”

     Pacill leaned forward in between Unnim and Octa. “Do you still not remember the reason why Horrald would be after you?”

     Unnim and Octa looked at each other. Then Unnim looked at Pacill. “We have been trying to remember. But we still don’t know why.”

     “We don’t even know if he wants us dead or alive. But after what we saw about to happen I’d say it’s death.” Octa continued a few seconds later.

     “That may be true,” said Borrele. “Then again it might be. After all, we are involved now. He might have felt he had no choice but to kill you too.”

     “Maybe it was your parents, their parents, etc. that got Horrald to want you.” Unnim and Octa both looked at Jacci when she started to speak.”

     “Yes, that could be the reason. But I don’t think that is it,” replied Octa.

     “We have never met him before. I barely knew who he was. And I don’t think Octa did.”

     “I only knew him through our past recordings. I’ve never even seen, until now.”

     “It can't be our past kin. You said that you went back thirty thousand years ago.” Unnim continued a few seconds later. Our family only went back about five thousand years, so that can’t be the reason.”

     “Then it must be one or both of you,” said Yena. “What did one, or both, of you do to get him so mad at you?”

     Octa opened her mouth to speak. But it was Unnim who spoke first. “We still can’t remember.”

     “All we know is that he has been looking for us ever since he returned from the dead.” Octa continued a few seconds later.

     “Almost from when he returned to the universe.” Unnim continued a few seconds later. “How did you find us about us?”

     “It was actually Horrald that found you first,” said Mairon. “We just got to you before he did.”

     “How did he do that?” Octa asked. “We have been moving from one part of a planet to another planet or Solar System for the last eleven years.”

     Unnim continued. “We were hoping he would give up the search and leave us along.”

     A few seconds later Octa continued. “How did you know where to find us? I know you said you found out from him. But you didn’t say how you did that.”

     All of them opened their mouths to speak. But it was Stavon who spoke first. “When we became a team again twelve years ago to stop him, we joined forces to put an unbreakable spell on him so that we could monitor everything that he did so that we could stop him from doing something like this. Sort of like the spell we put on this ship a few hours ago.”

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     “If you always knows where he’s at why don’t you just go to him and stop him once and for all?” Unnim asked Stavon as the three walked along the corridors.

     “We can’t do that for a couple of reasons. One, he’s a SpaceWizard. An evil one, but still one. And according to SpaceWizards Code, we can’t just kill. I wish we could too. But he has to be doing something bad before we can try to stop him.”

     “The second reason is that the spell we put on him doesn’t work like that. If it did, he would have detected it by now and broke it. We don’t even think that he knows he’s been spelled. The spell works like a distress call. When he’s about to do something that’s when an alarm goes off all over the spaceship or in our heads if we are off-ship.”

     They walked in silence for several minutes before Octa spoke. “Where are we going? You never told us that.”

     “That’s right. You didn’t.” Unnim continued a few seconds later. “All you said was that it was the perfect place for us to hide.”

     “It is. It’s the planet of Voig. And every tenth year they have a year long Halloween celebration.”

     “I’ve heard of this Halloween holiday. I think that it’s what we call Walkime on our home planet of Effin.”

     “Your Alienness won’t be a problem there because everyone will look a lot like you sooner or later. Probably several over the next year. If you are there that long.”

     “As soon as we find out why Horrald is after you, we will come back to get you. And we will find out why. We always do sooner or later.”

     “What about their language or is it languages as it is on Effin? Our looks aren’t the only problems. We have had a lot of problems with the languages too. That’s why we have been hiding in secret most of the time for the past eleven years.”

     “Language isn’t going to be a problem on Voig. You do have your Language boxes, don’t you? Of course, you do. Otherwise, we wouldn’t be talking to each other now.”

     “Besides, we are going to teach a few common words and phrases before we get there. And we have another two weeks before their tenth year begins. That’s plenty of time to teach you all you need to know. That is unless Horrald shows up again.”

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     “We are only a few hours from our destination. I want every up here in Control before we get there.” Mairon tapped a few buttons on the control panel in front of him before he spoke. His voice echoed throughout the Control Chamber.

     Within fifteen minutes everyone was there. Each one sat in the chair they were in before. Only that time they had a Baby Monitor hovering at eye height in front of them. That included Unnim and Octa.

     “So, how are we going to do this?” Angoria asked. “We can’t just land there and drop them off.”

     “That’s exactly what we are going to do,” said Mairon. “It all depend on Horrald when we are going to do it. He’s not anywhere around here. But that doesn’t mean he couldn’t show up here at any time.”

     “Maybe he gave up on finding us,” said Octa. It’s been almost two weeks since he started his last attack against you, right?”

     “Hopefully, you right. But I don’t think so,” said Pacill.

     “Horrald doesn’t give up once he starts something.” A few seconds later Stavon continued. “Unless he uses something as an alternative to catch us off guard. He has done that before.”

     “how did you learn about this planet?” Unnim asked. “You never told us about that either.”

     “It was Stavon who told us about it,” said Jacci. We were on our way to rescue you, save you this time, from Horrald and we were discussing what we were going to do once we got you back. That’s when he told us about Voig.”

     “Before I became a part of this team again I was an Individual SpaceWizard. I went to all the planets in this part if Space to help out wherever I could. One of those planets was Voig. That was almost two thousand one hundred and thirty years ago. I have been going back there every tenth year on this first day of that year ever since then.”

     A little bit later that spaceship approached Voig. It disappeared about halfway there. Several minutes later it reappeared on top of a large mountaintop with a large clearing in the center surrounded by a Wooded Area. After Unnim and Octa had gotten out, it disappeared again.

=====-=====-=====-=====-=====-=====

     Horrald suddenly appeared in the Control Chamber. At least his image did. The SpaceWizards could see right through him. Only his head was solid. “Give me the Younger Ones, and I will spare you your lives just this once.”

     Mairon swiveled in his chair to face Horrald. So, did the others. “Tell me why you want them so badly, and I will consider it.”

     “You wouldn’t consider it at all.” Horrald smiled just before he said that.

     Angoria smiled back. “And you wouldn’t let us live either.”

     Horrald suddenly disappeared. A few seconds later a loud object struck the outside of the spaceship. Mairon swiveled back around and looked at his Image Monitor. It showed one spaceship firing one Laser Bolt after another at the second one. “Is everyone ready? I hope you are because this battle has just begun.”

     The other six SpaceWizards swiveled back around to face the back of Mairon. Then they each mumbled something, and a floating Small Monitor appeared in front of them. On each one of those monitors, they showed another side of Horrald’s spaceship. Mairon looked back up at his view screen. All six other SpaceWizards were now on there in their own small piece of it.

     Pacill mumbled something and then swatted the air in front of him. Everyone could see on their individual monitors as the bolts being fired at them were batted away one at a time. Ten swats and ten bolts sailed away from them to disappear a few seconds later.

     A few seconds later two Metal Balls came toward them. Yena mumbled something and then clapped her hands. On everyone’s monitor, a pair of large hands appeared and clapped the two balls into each other. Those balls exploded within those hands a few seconds later. A little smoke came out of those slightly spread fingers.

     Borrele mumbled something then punched her fist into her monitor. She couldn’t see anything but fist and about half of her arm in her monitor. But the others saw that large fist and arm punched the front of Horrald’s spaceship. Smashing everything it touched inward.

     Horrald’s image appeared again, and everyone looked at it. “I’m bored already. I will be back. And if you know what’s good for you, you will turn over those Younger Ones to me.”

     “Why do you want them?” Angoria asked. “They aren’t even SpaceWizards. In fact, they’re not even wizards. They’re just two Younger Ones a couple of years younger than me.”

     Horrald didn’t say a thing. He just disappeared. A few seconds later the image of his spaceship disappeared from all their monitors too. “That was weird, even for Horrald. Why did he do that?” Jacci asked.

     “Who knows when it comes to Horrald.” Mairon swiveled back toward the view screen and looked up at it. All that it showed was the six other SpaceWizard’s individual section. And all of them just showed their spaceship on them.

     “How long are we going to need to keep battling Horrald?” Stavon asked.

     Mairon turned to face Stavon. “Two or three, maybe four, more battle with Horrald and Unnim and Octa should be safe on Voig. Just to be sure we will be monitoring them for the next year or however long it takes for us to find out what Horrald wants with them. After all, we did tell them that we would contact them with any information that we came up with.


Word Count = 2,351

© Copyright 2017 PureSciFi (spacefaction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2121005-Day-Seven---Halloween