*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2121712-Addie
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2121712
Flash Fiction
Addie

Addie looked up from her quilt. Tansy was spinning around the room, as usual. Addie smiled. Watching her granddaughter spin was one of the greatest pleasures of her life, actually just being with her. Addie was a treasure. She woke up happy and every minute of her day was delightful.

Sometimes Addie wondered at all the years that she had been on earth not even knowing Tansy was coming. She had never thought about grandchildren, she’d had her own children so late in life she just assumed that was enough. When her own children had not been born with the gift, it was sad, but she loved them so fiercely that it hardly mattered. They did not need the gift, they were pure joy just as they were. But when Tansy was born, there it was.

Surprised, she had never thought about the fact that her own mother had not had the gift, it had always been Gran, teaching her, helping her. How had she never realized this until Tansy appeared? Her mother never knew the gift existed, as her own children did not. Tansy already knew, even though she was only two.

“Honey!” don’t spin so close to that plant. “It’s very special.”

‘Why Gran?’ Addie heard, in her head.

She answered this question also without speaking out loud. ‘It’s a powerful healer. The elders will want us to bring it to the ceremony.’

‘Is this the ceremony when I get my wand?’

‘No, silly, you can’t have a wand until you are at least four, you know that.” Addie smiled.

Tansy frowned at her grandmother and then laughed, ‘OK, I can wait!’ then in real words, in her two-year-old voice. “Luv Gramma!”

“I love you too darling girl.” Addie said, suddenly feeling wonderfully young again herself.
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2121712-Addie