*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2123054-The-Visitor
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2123054
Flash Fiction
The Visitor

I felt a draft. I froze. I had closed the window; the door had been shut. Straining my ears in the dark, I heard a soft shuffling. Someone was moving quietly across the room.

I squinted to follow the movement. They were making their way to the left, away from the bed. As the figure moved, I could see a shape in the dim light from the window. It appeared to be a man, somewhat familiar even, yet I couldn’t be sure. I stayed silent, ready to bolt if necessary.

The person went straight to the dressing table opening the bottom drawer on the left, pulling it all the way out. Then holding the drawer, he began reaching into the opening.

Suddenly there was a light at the doorway. I saw the figure freeze, freezing more myself. The light got slightly brighter then passed the door and faded. Someone using a small light to sneak to the kitchen no doubt. The figure must have left it open a crack. I could see who it was now.

Uncle Albert turned, quickly closing the drawer without removing anything. Passing me quickly he opened the door and slipped quietly out shutting it behind him.

I stepped from the corner where I had been trapped, went directly to the drawer and retrieved the items from behind the drawer. Leaving by the window I had come in, I snuck back to my room.

The jewels were exquisite. Locking them in the secret pouch I wore under my clothes, I went down to breakfast the next morning. I was scheduled to leave shortly after, and I didn’t want to miss breakfast. This morning’s breakfast could prove to be the most eventful part of this year’s required visit to my stingy guardian, Aunt Harriet’s, boring old house.
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2123054-The-Visitor