*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137163-Beginnings
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2137163
Flash Fiction
Beginnings

“Stop that!” Alice said.

“What?” James clueless, looked up.

“That noise you’re making with your ice.”

“I’m just getting the rest of the drink out.”

You’ve been getting the rest of the drink out for ten minutes, just get more to drink, or quit it! That noise is driving me crazy!”

James smiled, “This noise?” he said, slurping his straw again, “or this noise,” he shook the glass so the melting ice clinked back and forth.

“Both noises! Stop making noises it’s distracting.”

“Why do you do tutoring anyway?” James asked, suddenly.

“What kind of question is that?”

“Well, you don’t seem to like it much. This is our third time and you’ve been in a kind of bad mood every time.”

Alice looked at James. “I’m sorry,” she said, embarrassed, “I have a lot on my mind.”

“I’m sorry.” James responded, embarrassed too now, “I didn’t mean to pry.” He looked back at his notes quickly.

“You don’t have to be sorry, I seem to always be in a bad mood these days.”

“Well, it’s none of my business. I shouldn’t be grilling you about your life.”

They both laughed.

“Let’s start over,” said Alice, “Hi I’m Alice, social misfit and trying to make money with my one talent to help my mother out, we’re poor.” she held out her hand.

“I’m James,” James said, “Social misfit and trying to pass geometry to please my father, we’re rich,” he took Alice’s hand.

A sort of electric shock passed between them when they touched, they both pulled back, embarrassed, but then, when they realized they’d both felt it, they burst out laughing.

“You know,” James said, thoughtfully, “I’m not doing so well in Spanish either...”

“Maravilloso!” Alice said, smiling.

“Perfecto!” James said, looking back at his papers, and smiling too.
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2137163-Beginnings