*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2139851-The-Wire
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2139851
Flash Fiction
The Wire

“What’s this?” Harry said, swimming up to an unusual shape.

“Stop!” Fred shouted, “That’s a wire!”

“What’s a wire?”

“It’s a people thing,” Fred said, “usually a trap.”

“What’s a trap?”

“How did you get this old and still be this naïve?” Fred said, “A trap is something people make that can catch you, and you can’t get away.”

“Why would people want to catch us?”

“People like to catch fish. Fishing is like a sport or something for people. I’ve heard they even have contests to see which people can catch the biggest fish or even the most fish! It’s barbaric!”

“Gosh! I never heard of this! I suppose that’s because I grew up in that small pond. We had green trees and bushes all around our water, but I hadn’t actually seen a people till I came here in the flood. So... why do people want to catch us anyway?”

“To eat, of course.”

“People eat us!? Why would people eat us? I heard they have tons of things up there to eat. I heard they can get bread every single day if they want. I heard worms live right in their ground, all they have to do is stick a stick in the ground and they can find worms, anywhere! Why would they want to eat us?”

“Apparently,” Fred answered, leading Harry away from the wire. “Because we taste good with tarter sauce...”
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2139851-The-Wire