*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2140216-Relatives
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2140216
Flash Fiction
Relatives

Gerald had been restless, coming down to find a book. The last thing he wanted was run into his creepy aunt, who seemed to despise him, or her husband.

They’d literally left nothing in his old room when they made it a guest room, mailing all his personal belongs to him earlier. They must be minimalists, he assumed. A bed, chair, dresser, totally empty closet, plus oddly enough a painting on the wall that used to be in the den. Probably too ugly for the rooms they use. He didn’t care, he was only here to sign the purchase and sale, having inherited the house when his father died.

But he couldn’t sleep and was leaving right after the lawyer’s office in the morning. The only reading material, a copy of the purchase and sale. Dry, he’d skimmed it out of boredom, but needed something else.

Hearing Aunt Trish coming he’d hidden behind the door, hoping she wouldn’t come in. Halfway, she stopped whispering back toward the kitchen. “One more day,” she said, “he just needs to sign.”

“Why again did you put the painting in there? Wasn’t that chancy?” her husband Alex whispered back.

“Fred said it was best because he couldn’t claim he hadn’t seen it later. Once he signs, we own it free and clear!”

“Free, I like that. What are you going to do with the house?”

“Sell it, burn it down... who cares!” she grabbed something from the hall table and returned to the kitchen.

Alex snuck back to his room. He looked at the painting, then at the purchase and sales agreement finding the line “...and all contents on the premises when signed.”

Huh, he thought, later, sneaking the painting out to his trunk. Guess I should probably look this thing up. Thanks Auntie!
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2140216-Relatives