*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2145241-Cignals
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Fiction · Fantasy · #2145241
Courtney finds she is able to control others via a modified cigarette lighter.
Part One

“Shit, shit, shit – Mom is early.” Courtney muttered to herself as she cleared the magazines from her living room table.

Mother and daughter embraced, and Courtney breathed in deeply the stale smoke resident on her jacket. Courtney and Michaela looked more like sisters, as they both had long auburn hair. However, Courtney didn’t have the feminine charm her mother had, which helped her win Prom Queen in her younger days.

“Happy birthday, princess. Hoes does it feel to be 23?”

“Better than 22,...have a seat.” Courtney responded, showing Michaela to the sofa. As she went to make them a cup of coffee, Michaela noted the pristine ashtray on her table.

Such a pity it’s not used, she thought as she removed a pack of cigarettes from her jacket pocket.

When Courtney returned, she witnessed Michaela smile while toying with the pack between her hands.

“Mind if I smoke?” she teased, flipping the pack lid open.

“Not at all. I wish I could join you without puking.” Courtney joked.

The only daughter of a leading tobacco executive, Courtney was home schooled, and avoided the anti-smoking influence from public education growing up. Despite adopting her mother’s passion for the habit, her efforts to experience the smoking sensation never materialised. In her eyes, failing to follow directly in her family tradition, she left the family home to start a new life.

After lighting up, Courtney watched with envy as Michaela took a long drag. Courtney had a smoking fetish, and never got bored of the smoking process as she witness others savour the nicotine. Minutes passed by as Courtney continued to watch her mother smoke effortlessly, while they engaged in light conversation. She observed how Michaela seemed completely relaxed when feeding her need for nicotine.

With the cigarette almost finished, Michaela playfully extended the filter towards her daughter.

“Take it.” Michaela coaxed as her daughter reluctantly accepted the cigarette.

“But we have been through this many times, Mom – I just can’t get the hang of this.” Courtney pleaded, torn between wanting to feel closer to her mother as well as not trying to gag as the acrid smoke danced towards the ceiling.

“Please try again, for me, honey. Just remember what I showed you before.” Michaela pleaded, flashing a smile to reassure Courtney.

Here goes nothing, Courtney thought, as she raised the smouldering filter towards her lips. With her eyes fixated on the burning ember, she wrapped her lips around the filter, and sucked gently. The tobacco hissed, and smoke flooded her mouth. With Michaela nodding approvingly, she inhaled the smoke down into her lungs. However, as the smoke spread inside, Courtney panicked at the warm feeling, and spat out the smoke, ensuing a prolonged coughing fit. As smoke spewed out, Courtney’s eyes watered, and her mother removed the filter from her hands, before grinding it out in the ashtray.

“You are a natural.” Michaela teased, as her daughter regained her composure, slightly embarrassed by her latest failed attempt to embrace the habit.

“Sorry.” Courtney meekly replied.

As Courtney took another sip of her coffee to dispel the taste, Michaela handed a small box to her daughter.

“Don’t worry about it. Happy birthday.” Michaela smiled as Courtney ripped open the box and took out the unfamiliar item.

As she stared at the item, she instantly recognised this as a black, metallic lighter. Unlike traditional lighters, the flint wheel was contained inside the casing shell, whilst the trigger button was deeper.

How ironic, Courtney smiled.

“This will be great for lighting candles.” She teased after her display.

“This lighter is great for many things, my dear, and for you smoking will be one of them.” Michaela said, with a hint of seriousness in her voice.

With her thumb on the trigger, Courtney pressed down playfully and a flame appeared from atop. As the flame appeared, Courtney could feel a sharp pain in her head. As quick as the migraine throbbed, it dissipated.

“What was that?”

“That is now you ready. Before I explain, do me a favour and light me a smoke.” Michaela asked.

Rather than question this request, Courtney picked up the pack, and placed a filter between her lips, with Michaela smiling back.

As she reluctantly lit up, memories and taste from her last experience were still fresh in her mind. When the smoke filled her mouth, it seemed different – smooth, comforting. Before Courtney considered handing the cigarette over to her mother, she inhaled the smoke into her lungs. This time, there was no anxiety as the smoke greeted her lungs. As the buzz took over, she pursed her lips and gently exhaled a stream of smoke proudly. With no adverse reaction to the nicotine, Courtney smiled dreamily at her mother, before handing over the cigarette.

“I see you enjoyed that. Why don’t you join me while I explain everything?” Michaela suggested, dangling her cigarette and extending the pack back towards her daughter.

Courtney accepted the fresh cigarette with relish, and lit up gracefully, as the nicotine buzz returned.

This was indeed a very happy birthday.
© Copyright 2018 Blackbladder (blackbladder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2145241-Cignals