*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2160451-The-Fighter-needs-a-Champion
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2160451
A Executive notices a coworker
Edward sits on on the subway, his briefcase firmly in his lap as he counts the stops until she gets on. Three, two, one, the subway slows and jerks to a stop. His eyes are glued to the passing of people out then the influx of people pushing their way to a seat or strap to hang on to.

She moves with grace down the car to her favorite seat. Facing his side of the car. A smile spreads across his face. She's on time. The car jerks and they are off.

Why do I hear soft cello music when I see her? Why does the thought of dinner over a white linen tablecloth and wine fill me with warmth? She puts her keys in her purse and zips the pocket closed. Then her earbuds in as whatever she is listening to brings her a peaceful smile.



He waits for her to exit the car before he follows her to the office. She has no idea he works three floors above her. She's an admin assistant, not in his group, but she walks by his office a few times a month doing her work. He knows her name is Stacy Lavine.

"So how's the stalker doing today?" John leans in his office.

"I wish I'd never said anything to you." Edward growls at his friend.

"I think you need to stop dreaming about this woman and just ask her out."

"Just like that. Show up to her office and say, "Hi, I ride the train with you and I've fallen in love with you. Will you go out with me?" His hard tone grated on his own ears.

"Love? When did that happen?" At Edward's blush, John pointed a finger at him. "You've been holding out. Now you think you're in love with this vision. What's her name? I want to see her." He demands.

"Never! Now get out."

John leaves humming some song that sounds familiar. Edward let his mind wander to his own imagination of Stacy opening the door to his apartment and pulling on his tie. There's a fire in the fireplace and dinner on the low table near by. They eat sharing the meal and end up beneath the chocolate satin sheets of a bed.

The next morning he'd watch her shower and dress for work. He'd tell her she doesn't need to work, but she kisses him and says she loves her job too much to give it up for nothing. She'd hand him his messenger bag with the lunch she's fixed and together they head for the train.

"Mr. Edward?" A low voice pierces his sub conscience and the sound of knuckles on his door brings him back to the present.

Standing at the door is the woman in his dreams. He shakes his head to clear his thoughts, Is she real or a vision?

"Sir? I have some papers for you." Stacy enters his office and holds out a file folder for him.

He looks at it and somehow his arm raises and his fingers take the folder. "Please, have a seat. Do you want something to drink?"

"No thanks, I just need you to look over the meeting itinerary for next week and let me know if there are any changes you need or handouts." He voice poured over him like a warm shower. He stared at the words on the paper, but they didn't make sense.

He cleared his throat, "Do you need them right now? Can I look them over and bring them to you?"

She smiled a little and the color of her face turned a little pink. He froze. She's blushing. "No, I'll look at them now if you don't mind waiting. Are you sure you wouldn't like some water? I have a small bottle here." He motioned to his cabinet. She nodded. He opened the door and pulled a cool bottle out twisting the top to loosen it before handing it to her along with his most sexy smile. At least he hoped it was.

He focused on the paper as he watched her remove the top and take a drink. The words finally came together and made sense. Everything looked just as John had told him. "Has John seen this?"

"No, he was in a meeting today and told me to have you look at it." Her green eyes met his.

It all fell in place. Did John know she was the object of his desire or was this a cosmic accident? "It looks like a plan. Do you need any help getting all the food and beverages ordered?" He bit his lip. That was her job, how would he help her?

"Thanks, but this is pretty basic. If you have any additions I'm on floor twenty."

"I know." The words flew from his mouth before he could stop them.

"Oh?"

Now he had to explain how he followed her to her floor and walked by one day until he found her. "John must have told me." he added.

"Oh." Did she sound disappointed?



"Edward, you tell this story so well. I love you for telling it on our anniversary." Stacey curled into his body beneath the chocolate satin sheets.



© Copyright 2018 Quick-Quill (thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2160451-The-Fighter-needs-a-Champion