*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2167123-My-Entry
by Waterk
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2167123
For a second, she regretting slamming her fist on the wall. But she thought about it...
(1,000 words)

She felt for the lock on something. Not that the place was dark - it was that she was blindfolded. Wishing she knew where she was, she tried to take the scarf (or whatever that kept her from seeing what was in front of her). But it felt as though it was a part of her. She hit the nearest object (not knowing it was there) in frustration.

For one thing, she nearly got her friend to get a stabbed, and next thing… She got kidnapped by some shabby dudes that were drunk. Or were they drunk at all? They seemed to know what they were doing, but she didn’t care. She just had to get out of there. The men that smelled strongly like beer and cold latte went off to find her friend, Martha. But before they went out, Lauren - the girl that was caught by a bunch of vagabonds - heard them say something about burning a couple houses down. Of course, she had absolutely no idea which houses they were talking about and whether people were going to be in the house while it would be in flames, turning into ashes then blown away by the Autumn wind. Honestly, she didn’t quite care whether people were going to die inside the house that becomes a fiery blaze. All that mattered at the moment was whether she gets herself out of wherever she was, and get Martha to safety.

If there was any safety around here at all.

Getting up from a sitting position, she slowly roamed mindlessly forward. From what Lauren could feel, she was definitely stuck in some sort of prison- kind-of-thing.

Well, that’s a start… But what’s gonna happen after I get out of this cell? I can’t just walk out of here.

That was what troubled her the most. Could there be a dozen guards outside that were as crazy as the men who captured her? If so, were they guarding just her or other people, too?

Her nose crinkled. She could smell something that was related to blood, but she sighed as she realized that it was just metal. She had tripped over her shoelaces and banged into the cell’s bars.

Ouch…

Struggling to stand up, she felt her way back up. There were buzzing noises coming from a distance. Hoping that it wasn’t an alarm and just some crazy big fly, she kept feeling for the lock. If there was a lock at all. She shuffled over to where she felt was very left of the area and started looking for a latch, there. Feeling for space in between two bars, she slid her hand through - blindly ‘looking for’ something that kept her from getting out of the cell. At least, she thought it was a cell.

She continued the process of feeling for every ‘two bars and sliding a hand in between’ area she could possibly reach. Sooner or later, she found a round object with a semi—

“Oh, for crying out loud!” she whispered.

Yeah. The lock that she was looking for was found. But…

It’s a lock for a high school locker! One of those with the dials.

She knew right away when she accidentally turned something. Immediately, she dropped to the ground, despite the fact that she knew she’d plop right on the sharp edge of a bed. No doubt, was she going to be stuck - locked up completely. There was no way she’d get out, no way that she could get to Martha before those beer-smelling guys did. And there’s absolutely no way that—

Randomly slamming her clenched fist (with her thumb tucked in), she felt her hand sink into… Something. Obviously, she wasn’t aware what had just happened, but she assumed that she had made a crack in the wall. In a weak wall, in fact. However, that was not the case. It was absolutely unbelievable and Lauren herself would not understand why it would be there but she had pressed a plate in the wall. No, not ‘plate’ as in, putting a steak on a plate. A plate as in a slab. Perhaps, a button?

How on…?

If she blinked— actually, it wouldn’t matter if she had blinked since she was blindfolded. If she had not known the fact that she was standing, she would not have felt the floor disappearing below her feet. For a mad second, she thought she was standing in mid-air. But what had really happened, was that she was up-right in mid-air. You see, she was falling. And she just happened so to be somewhat ‘standing’ as she was falling. Air flew up while she dropped down - the air whistled one whole note against her covered ear. Seriously, though; what kind of person blind-folds their victim when they’re just going to through them into a cell, anyway?

Lauren concluded that they were drunk.

Falling and not being able to see anything while you’re at it is not fun. Don’t believe me? Close your eyes and jump off of a diving board but remind yourself that water isn’t below you. Not fun, right? Her heart beat against her chest and she could feel her pulse jump around like a frog. Even if somebody did hear her shriek like a ghoul, she doubted they could do anything about it. They’d just see her falling for a long time.

She didn’t have the right mind to scream for help, not knowing who’d hear it. She thought it was common sense not to. Yet, oh… She did it anyway. Screeching like an eagle, she prayed somebody would help. Just like in those superhero movies. Unfortunately, the reality isn’t like that. Nobody was going to save her. After what felt like five minutes, she wished she had a watch. Having to fall for a long time made her think she wasn’t going to die from falling.

Well, it made her think that she wasn’t going to die. But maybe she’d die from anything but falling.



© Copyright 2018 Waterk (waterk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2167123-My-Entry