*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2167376-Mystery-Solved
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2167376
Three Minute Read
Mystery Solved

Mike said everything was going to be fine, for the hundredth time, suddenly I realized he was antsy.

“Are you nervous?”

“Of course not!” he said, shifting his eyes away.

“Sit!” I said. I wasn’t about to walk into something I wasn’t expecting. We’d traveled from Boston so I could meet his family. Our romance was whirlwind, married after only three months. However, I’d “met” his family many times over the internet. They had regular Sunday chats and had included me in since before we married. They were even there, via internet, when we tied the knot. I felt like I knew them, had just not met them in person.

“What is the issue, and don’t tell me there isn’t any. I haven’t known you long, but I certainly know you well enough to know something’s bothering you.”

A look of resignation crossed his face, he shrugged. “It’s my family.”

“But I know your family, I’ve talked to every one of them. They’re adorable!”

“You haven’t talked to every one...”

“What do you mean?”

“You haven’t met Great Grandmother Amelia.”

“Your great grandmother is still alive! How exciting! Why didn’t you tell me before?”

“I can’t really explain; you’ll understand when you meet her...”

After arriving at the house and being greeted warmly, albeit nervously, by the people I’d met over the internet, we all walked to Amelia’s room.

The room was cluttered with old things. She must have been an avid traveler in her day, the walls covered with pictures of mountains and old airplanes. As I leaned down to her chair to take her hand, I said “Hello, I’m Holly.”

She looked up at me with the sharpest eyes I’d ever encountered in an older person and said, extremely clearly, “Welcome to my family, child. I’m Amelia Earhart.”
© Copyright 2018 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2167376-Mystery-Solved