*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2168043-The-Island
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2168043
Flash Fiction
The Island

Alice and Stan were tired, but the island looked so different that they decided to go ashore anyway. They’d been traveling for a while now but had never seen an island quite like this, even though they’d both grown up at the shore. They’d paired up in the first place to travel. Unlike their families and friends who seemed so content to just go with the flow, they wanted to see the world! This odd island was too different to pass up.

First it had no beaches at all, it was atop steep cliffs all the way around. Yet it seemed very popular, chock full of people! The dwellings appeared connected together mostly, with the shops inside and people coming and going out of openings everywhere. Plus, it had small lakes here and there where the people did their sunbathing. The best part, there seemed to be food everywhere!

The people were mostly very nice. The kids, always excited to see someone different, and the adults, kind and smiling. There were always cranky ones, of course, people who didn’t want to share their place with “outsiders.” Stan and Alice understood and just avoided them. They certainly remembered that sentiment from their younger days.

The excursion went well. They ate and explored and when it was time to go they felt excited and renewed, ready to find out what would come up next. The plan was to follow the shore, south, and veer out if they came to any other islands that looked interesting. Somehow though, they both agreed that this island today had been the strangest island they were ever likely to see!

The two seagulls flew away happily, off the deck of the cruise ship and looking for their next adventure.
© Copyright 2018 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2168043-The-Island