*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2208049-Addendum-5048-01
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #2208049
A detailed account of the capture of SCP-5048 by Dr.▢▢▢▢▢▢▢▢▢.
Addendum 5048-01

The following is a detailed description of the capture of SCP-5048, as provided from the point of view of Dr.▢▢▢▢▢▢▢▢▢. The following report was ordered, written, and received following the study detailed in "SCP-5048 - Whispers in the Wind. It is advised that this be read prior to study of SCP-5048 by any personnel, including those of D-Class. Physical copies of this report are to be held in the data vaults at site [REDACTED], in which resides SCP-5048 itself.


I shuddered and shook as the Humvee sped over the broken roads, winding between overgrown shrubs and small trees that clawed through the pavement. The crashes and rattles coming from the rocking of the vehicle and equipment rang in my ears. I looked around at the other people in the vehicle.

They were all clad in black S.W.A.T-like armor over white military-type uniforms. A logo was embroidered in black on both shoulders of their uniforms: A circle with 3 arrows forming an equilateral triangle pointing to the center of the circle. The letters “SCP” were sewn to the backs of their body armor. Their faces were masked by white helmets and black visors, along with various tech attached to the side of the helmet. Their Foundation Agent numbers, or FA for short, were listed on the right shoulder of their armor in white.

Sitting across from me was one of unique uniform. His uniform was a deep navy, almost slate color, with the symbol embroidered in white. His body armor was a silvery, almost white color, with light blue accents here and there. He had a full-face tactical mask, the same color as his armor and a light-blue tinted visor, with more tech and gadgets attached to it than the others. His FA number, FA-530, was listed in the dark blue on his right shoulder.

I looked at him curiously. I had never seen any of the agents wearing a uniform like this before. I had only seen FA’s wearing white suits with black armor, or the Class-D personnel in their orange jumpsuits. To be honest, I was almost jealous of his advanced gear, as opposed to my basic labcoat, which I now deemed inappropriate compared to the dress of the squad that rode with me.

“So what’s so special about you?” I finally had the courage to ask, though I immediately regretted wording it that way.

“Elite Escort Personnel,” He responded both impatiently and sternly, “Lieutenant James Warner. I’m here to lead and assist in the containment of SCP-5048, as well as to make sure you make it out of here alive.”

“Surely it can’t be that bad,” I said, trying to remain optimistic.

“Believe me, Doctor,” he responded, “If you’ve seen half the things I have while in the field, you’d be pretty surprised how bad things can get.''

I gulped. This was my first time in the field since my training prior to joining the Foundation, and I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I had heard a few stories from agents at the Foundation site in which I was posted, about SCP’s wiping out entire squads, and things I wouldn’t even begin trying to describe.

I was drowning in thoughts of what might happen during the mission, every worst possible outcome. I tried to stay reassured by telling myself it would all go according to plan, that the Lieutenant knew what we were getting into, and that he would make sure we completed the mission with as many lives intact as possible. I made my mind up that if things were to go wrong, whether I make it out alive or not, I would be resigning from the Foundation. That is, after study of this SCP is complete, of course.

Our vehicle, the Humvee behind us, and a personnel transport all came to a halt at an intersection. Lt. Warner was the first one out, followed by the rest of the squad. I followed suit and exited the vehicle. Agents began activating equipment, which I assumed included night-vision and infrared. One of the agents began tossing weapons to the others from the transport, including assault rifles, snipers, and what I also assumed were tranquilizer rifles. A speaker was removed from the back of the transport.

“What is that for?” I asked, pointing at the speaker.

“From our briefing, we were told this thing is highly responsive to sound,” said Lt. Warner. “Make enough of it, and that thing might just come runnin’.”

The Lieutenant turned towards the other agents in the squad, who were checking their weapons and equipment to make sure they weren’t damaged in transit. He quietly briefed them, though I couldn’t make out. Then he spoke loudly.

“I want four men on this building next to us,” he said. “One with a sniper, one with a tranq, and two to spot. I want the same on the building catty-cornered to this one at the intersection. Each spotter will watch down a different side of the intersection. That should give us coverage of every entrance and exit.”

The two squads broke away, leaving those with assault rifles (about ten) awaiting orders.

“Break into two groups,” Lt. Warner said, pointing to the remaining agents. “One squad will hide on the other side of the intersection to offer support to Bravo squad. The rest, you’re with me and the Doctor.”

The remaining troops broke off. I looked about and began contemplating the strategy here. I hesitated a moment a moment before I tapped the Lieutenant on the shoulder.

“Sir, wouldn’t it be better to stick together, rather than spread out our forces?” I asked cautiously.

“Look,” he said, “Strategy and field work may not be your area of expertise. I’m spreading out the squads to have coverage of the entire area. If anything heads this way, we’ll know. And having squads both on-ground and on the buildings gives an advantage over whatever this thing is.”

I thought for a moment before responding, “Yeah, I guess that would make more sense…”

Suddenly the radio on Lt. Warner’s belt began to static. He held it up and listened.

“Alpha squad is in position,” came from the radio. “Got eyes on the north and west of the intersection.”

“Good work, keep me posted,” said Warner. “Bravo, what’s your status?”

“In position,” replied an agent through the radio. “Charlie is all set, too.”

“Alright, it’s time. Let’s start it up”

He turned to me and said, “Let’s move to cover while we can. We don’t want to be in this thing’s line of sight when it gets here.”

He gave me a shove. With the last squad following us, we went to cover, trying to maintain a view of the crossroads. As soon as we were secured, the speaker, now in the middle of the intersection began playing music at what would be deafening volume would we be near to it. We watched and listened patiently for some time.

After what felt like an eternity, one of the squads radioed in.

“This is Alpha,” came from the radio. “We got a bogie moving in from your nine o’clock (West), and fast!”

“Ready positions,” Warner spoke quietly into the radio. “Tranqs wait for my command.”

A moment later, something came running into the intersection. I took the Lieutenant’s binoculars from his belt to take a look.

It was tall, standing about 2.2 meters in height, by my estimation, compared to the size of a door to a building nearby. It had pale white skin and was extremely emaciated, as though it hadn’t eaten in months. The face was very humanoid, except that it had no eyes. Instead, it had closed epidermal tissue over divots where a human’s eyes would normally be. What was most offsetting was the mouth, which stretched almost ear-to-ear, displaying a row of gator-like conical teeth. It must not have had lips or anything like that, as it seemed unable to cover it’s maw. The only thing relative were several sinewy strands of flesh weaving over the very front of the mouth, seeming to sew the mouth shut. The nose was concaved, similar to that of the skull.

I shivered as I watched the creature. While it is true I have dealt with SCP’s with some unsavory visages, this one was particularly unsettling. As I watched, it proceeded to destroy the speaker, seeming almost pleased at it’s destruction. Then it tensed up and started looking around, as if it knew something was about to happen. I grew more fearful as the seconds went by.

“Tranqs,” Warner whispered into the radio. “Take it down.”

Almost in unison, two near-silent shots could be heard from overhead and across the street. I watched as two small tranq darts launched into the creature. It stumbled for a second, caught off guard by the sudden attack, but seemed unfazed by the tranquilizers. It scratched the darts from its body and glared at the rooftops. Then it did something we did not expect.

The creature turned, seemingly towards Warner and I. An ear-shattering sound, almost like static, filled the intersection, sending everyone to their knees as they frantically covered their ears. It appeared as though the sound came from the SCP, as it stood, glaring at us, it’s mouth opened as far as possible in a tensed expression.

For nearly two full minutes we were like this, struggling to protect our ears from this constant barrage. It seemed like this creature could keep this up forever, but, of course, we could not. I opened my eyes to see one of the agents across the intersection struggle from behind cover, ignoring the damage to his ears. He pulled a small gun from his hip and aimed it at the SCP. I was sure his intent was to put it down.

“No!” I shouted, though I doubted he could hear me. However, it brought attention to Warner, as he followed my gaze.

The agent glanced at me, then to Lt. Warner, then back to where her was aiming. He paused for one more second, then pulled the triggered. I feared that we had failed our main object, and for me, time seemed to stop for a few seconds. Then I realized that the Agent hadn’t been aiming to kill, but had taken out one of the SCP’s legs. This had sent it to the ground, causing to stop it’s shrill scream, and instead fall in anguish.

This gave the Lieutenant time to rush to the creature, pulling what appeared to be a cage-like muzzle from a pocket on his vest. While the creature was incapacitated, he managed to wrap the muzzle around it, preventing it from deafening us further.

With ringing ears, I came out from behind cover, watching as Warner bound it’s hands and feet. He spoke to a few of the soldiers. They lifted the creature, who began to writhe in an attempt to escape, and put it in the back of the transport.

As we cleaned up the site, loaded our equipment, and climbed into the vehicles, Warner turned to me.

“So,” he said, half grinning. “What’d you think of your first field experience?”

I glared at him and quickly responded, “Never happening again. After I complete my study of this thing, I’m resigning...”
© Copyright 2019 Austyn Dewaele (p0s31d0n at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2208049-Addendum-5048-01