*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2229086-The-New-Garden
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2229086
Flash Fiction
The New Garden

“The days are getting shorter.”

“Stating the obvious again is not helping. We just need to adjust.”

“We need to adjust, but we don’t know how short they are going to be before they stop getting shorter.”

“Well, we should assume the worse and then we will be ready no matter what.”

“So, what is the worse.”

“How about an hour?”

“The sun will rise and set every hour? That’s terrible!”

“No, no. It will be just like a cloudy day to our plants. They will react as if they are getting sun and then clouds pass over and the sun again. This could work.”

“Well, what about the no night part? Don’t the plants need night?”

You know, I don’t know that part. But maybe it would be like they were growing next to a big parking lot that had lights on all night.”

“Yeah, I see, I guess. So maybe we will be able to grow some more food! And, we have established that we can breathe the air here and the water is good. We could really live here until we are rescued. We could couldn’t we!”

“Yes, Sammy we could! Now why don’t you just go plant some more of those seeds so we’ll have lots of new pumpkins to get more seeds from when they ripen!”

Sam ran off happily.

“I’ll just sit here,” Alex mumbled quietly, "and watch the black hole some more, in case anything else gets sucked through.”
© Copyright 2020 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2229086-The-New-Garden