*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2229573-A-Two-person-Job
by Rae
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2229573
A thief is betrayed by her partner, and ends up in a dangerous situation.
My feet tapped lightly against the tiles as I leaped across the roofs. I was being trailed on the roofs and streets. There was no escape for me.

It was supposed to be a stealthy job. Two people, no witnesses. Our client requested an antique jar, which he claimed was a family heirloom that had been stolen many centuries ago. I had my doubts, but being successful in this business meant no questions. He had hired us because we were the best pilferers on this side of the island, and he needed the best.

In my past, I had been betrayed one too many times, so I always worked solo. But something about the casual confidence of the woman sitting beside me impressed me. She was slightly taller than me, with long, glossy hair that was pulled back in a ponytail. She was dressed like me, in dark colours and soft-soled boots. After our briefing, she looked down at me and with a wickedly charming grin said, “I’ll see you tonight”.

But, she never showed up. So, I had tried to complete a two-person job by myself. But I got caught, and I didn’t have the jar and they were catching up to me. With tears blurring my vision, I snuck a quick, apprehensive look behind me.

The night was quiet and the roofs behind me were empty. A quick peek over the edge confirmed the streets below were deserted too.

A gentle cough behind me alerted me to the her. She was perched on a chimney above me. A large round object was strapped to her back and she wore the same intensely disarming smile.

“Where have you been?”, I demanded, exasperation and relief colouring my voice.

“Finishing the job”, she replied.

“You make a wonderful distraction”.
© Copyright 2020 Rae (happilyhoyden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2229573-A-Two-person-Job