*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2230513-The-Man-Behind-Me
by Sylyra
Rated: GC · Chapter · Thriller/Suspense · #2230513
Evolette wanted a quiet life, but the man that keeps appearing behind her has other ideas.
"Alright! Today is the day!" Evolette cried out.

She tightly gripped her fists in front of her chest and looked toward the door.

"Today is the day I'll finally talk to him!"

Determination flashed in her eyes.

"No more running scared. Today I find out what he wants from me."

Suddenly, his face flashed across her mind and her determination faltered. A worried look came across her face.

What if I don't like his answer, though? What if he's here to kill me? she anxiously thought to herself.

"No. It's been three months and he hasn't even tried to approach me yet. If he wanted to hurt me, he easily could've done it a hundred times over by now." she said, her determination returning.

Evolette took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

"I just need to stay calm and ask him what he's doing here. Why he keeps showing up suddenly and scaring me before he disappears again."

She clenched her right fist tightly, an angry smile on her face.

He's been scaring me for three months. Enough is enough. she thought bitterly.

Evolette dropped her fist and calmly walked toward the door. She reached out a trembling hand and grasped the door knob. She froze.

Do it! Open the door! Turn the damn knob! she screamed internally at herself.

She gripped the knob tightly trying to get her body to cooperate with her mind's commands.

Come on you coward! DO IT! her mind screamed at her.

Slowly, her hand finally began to cooperate and turn the knob. She pushed the door open and it slowly swung back, revealing the dark abyss beyond. She stood in the doorway, eyes scanning the inky darkness for any signs of movement, wishing they would adjust faster so that she could make out the black shapes more clearly. Her heart was pounding like a drum in her chest and a cold sweat began running down her back. She forced herself to take short, shallow breaths so she wouldn't pass out from holding her breath in fear. She strained her ears, listening for any sounds at all, hoping that if she couldn't see him, she'd at least be able to hear where he was and react in time in case he decided to finally approach her. But there was nothing. No movement. No sounds. It was as quiet and still as the grave. Her eyes were beginning to adjust and she began recognizing the shapes in front of her. Her fear began to slowly subside as she realized the room was empty.

Good. she thought. At least he's not just standing here in the dark, waiting for me.

Evolette took another deep breath to try and calm herself down.

Now for the hard part. she thought to herself as she slowly reached for the light switch.

Careful to keep as much of herself out of the room as she could, Evolette ran her hand along the wall until her fingertips found what they were looking for. She flipped the switch, and what was once an empty, black abyss threatening to pull her in, was now flooded with a blinding, white light. She blinked and looked down to the right, momentarily blinded. She then slowly looked back up, afraid of what she might see. She scanned the room.

Nothing. she thought.

But her fear didn't subside.

"Ok, moment of truth. Time to face him."

Evolette stepped into the room and turned to face the mirror. She froze. Her blood felt as though it had turned to ice and she couldn't breathe. Her eyes widened in terror as she stared into the mirror. There he was, standing just behind her, staring right back at her. Evolette wanted to scream, but she couldn't make her voice come out. She wanted to run, but her body wouldn't obey and stayed where it was, frozen to the spot. Two thoughts came to the forefront of her mind.

1. He's never appeared this close before.
2. I'm going to die here; This is the end for me.

© Copyright 2020 Sylyra (vixen03 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2230513-The-Man-Behind-Me