*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2230897-A-Cold-Day-in-Hell
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2230897
Two couples embark on a camping trip, filled with secrets and self discovery.
Part 1

Naomi had been toying with the idea of driving up to St. Louis in their new Explorer that afternoon to surprise Melody, but wondered if it might be a presumptuous move. Naomi was still considering her options when she got a call from Melody just after ten.

Melody was Naomi’s sister, and had always been close. She and Jack had what everyone thought was a very healthy marriage, a big house out in the 'burbs’ outside Minneapolis, before things suddenly went downhill. Jack had quit smoking for Melody shortly after they began seeing each other, at her insistence. Even years later, when Jack would follow friends outside to breathe in second-hand smoke and sneak the occasional drag at social functions; he often confessed that he missed smoking terribly. Naomi wasn't surprised in the least when he picked up the habit again, but apparently Melody, a vocal anti-smoker, was outraged. The smoking issue seemed to give the two of them an excuse to have a lot of arguments that had been building during their marriage, and eventually they split. Naomi always thought it was a shame that Melody was such a vehement opponent of smoking, and so irritatingly insistent on expressing her views on the subject. Other than that one glaring flaw, she was a great sister. Naomi had stayed in touch with Melody during the twelve years since the divorce, so it was not unusual for her to give Naomi a call at work to catch up on news.

"Hey, Naomi…how have you been over there?" Melody had taken spur-of-the-moment weekend road trips a couple of times and visited Naomi, and she wondered if she was calling to invite herself over again. They usually had a good time, except for her anti-smoking lectures.

"I’ve been great Melody," Naomi answered.

"How about yourself?" Melody proceeded to invite herself.

"Great, I’ll have to hear all about it. What sort of plans have you made for the weekend?"

Since Naomi hadn't made any firm plans, she told Melody she was probably going to relax with her boyfriend Jon. The two of them were planning a road trip and wondered if Naomi wanted to join them at the last minute. It would give Naomi a chance to meet Jon, and see how much she could aggravate Melody with her smoking for a couple of days. They hadn't really decided where they wanted to go, so they kicked around some ideas and ended up planning an impromptu camping and canoeing trip. Naomi told Melody they should go ahead and pack some supplies and hop in the car and that Naomi meet them at her place sometime between three and four that afternoon with a destination planned. She was excited that Naomi had a brand new vehicle to volunteer for the trip.

Naomi teased Melody before they hung up. "Hey, Melody, don't forget to bring plenty of cigarettes for the weekend. I don't want you bumming mine." She grunted disgustedly over the phone.

"Are you still smoking, Naomi? You gotta quit those things. They're killers."

"No way - You've got to start smoking. You'll love it." They had this conversation often.

Melody retorted "Well Jon doesn’t smoke either. Maybe we'll make you and Ben see the light."

Naomi’s husband, Ben, knew of a wilderness area complete with adequate camping and canoeing facilities in southern Missouri, just a couple hours' drive away. One of the guys in his office dug up a phone number, and Naomi reserved camping space and two canoes for the weekend. They had planned to meet right at the campground that evening.

Melody and her boyfriend Jon got to Naomi’s that afternoon.

"Let me introduce you to our companions," Naomi said to Ben as Melody and Jon approached. The three exchanged handshakes and names.

Shortly after, they hit the road in Naomi’s Explorer.

Ben slid a fresh pack of Marlboros onto the dashboard as Jon and him got into the front seat, with the sisters in the back, then headed to the interstate. He pulled a package of spearmint gum out of his pocket and placed it across from the cigarettes. Naomi noticed Jon’s eyes lingering on the cigarettes.
Look at that, Naomi thought. Look at that! Could Melody's boyfriend be showing some interest in smoking? Naomi figured she had to get the story before the end of the weekend, if there were one.
Naomi had a smile on her face as Ben cracked the driver's side window and lit the first Marlboro of the weekend road trip. Naomi took out her own pack of Pall Malls, and lit up fluidly as Melody shot her a sour look. "I can't believe you're both going to smoke in your new car." Melody complained predictably. Jon unwrapped a stick of gum, stuck it in his mouth, and said nothing. Naomi rolled down her back seat passenger window as she blew smoke out the gap, admiring the stream roll behind them on the road.
The guys got to know each other as Ben drove. Jon worked in telesales, his interests such as fishing, and spoke of his fortune in meeting Melody online a few months back. Ben and Jon soon found common ground in their love of the great outdoors, and who had the better fishing trips. Jon was intrigued about the wide assortment of classic rock albums Ben had brought for the Explorer's changer, and asked him plenty of questions about his own life. His questions were insightful; Naomi smoked in silence, as Melody rested, and was impressed with her sister’s new boyfriend. Melody interjected occasionally from the back seat, but as the trip wore on they heard less and less from her as she struggled to keep her eyes open.

About ninety minutes into the drive, Melody reclined in her seat and closed her eyes. The others continued to talk, Naomi and Ben smoking and Jon chewing gum, as they cruised across southern Missouri. Ben turned the music down a bit, and it wasn't long before Melody's breathing settled into a slow, steady pattern in the back seat. Ben reached for the pack of Marlboros on the dash, and out of the corner of his eye saw Jon watching. Stealing a glance into the back seat at Melody sleeping, Ben slid a cigarette partly out of the pack and, rather than taking it myself, held out the pack towards Jon. Frozen in place, he stared at the cigarette pointing toward him for a second, then looked up at Ben, then back at his girlfriend sleeping in the back, then back at his outstretched hand and the pack of Marlboros. Silently, Jon accepted his offer, taking the cigarette in his hand. He stole another glance toward the back seat, and then put the Marlboro between his lips. Ben took one for himself and offered Jon the lighter on the console. He cupped his left hand around his right, spun the lighter's wheel, and fired up the Marlboro like an expert. He took his first drag hungrily, his cheeks hollowing as he pulled the smoke into his body before handing Ben his lighter and cracking his window slightly. "Man, thanks," he said quietly as Ben lit his own cigarette. "I’ve been dying for one."

Naomi smiled as she joined them in lighting up another Pall Mall, making sure to blow the smoke out the window, and not wake her sister. "I assume your girlfriend has no idea that you smoke?" Naomi whispered.

Jon took a deep drag and spoke before exhaling. "No way. She would freak."

"Yeah, I guess she would," Ben replied.

As he took another careful drag, Jon continued “I’m mainly a social smoker, but kinda lied on the dating profile that I was a ‘non-smoker’. Melody soon made me realise how much she hates smoking, and I just made sure to top up on nicotine when away from her. I never carry cigarettes on me when I’m with Melody.”

"You know, she will figure it out eventually. She has the nose of a bloodhound." Ben whispered as he exhaled out the driver’s window. They smoked in silence for a moment.

Naomi spoke first.

"We’ll have to find a way to sneak you some smokes over the weekend,"

Part 2

It was just starting to get dark as they pulled into the campground.

Melody and Jon carried most of their gear to a suitably flat section of the site while Naomi and Ben shared a cigarette together, having a moment alone after the journey.

Sitting in her driver's seat, she spied Ben’s Marlboros and fished out one for each of them. "It’s been a helluva week," Naomi said.

They shared a long kiss before lighting our smokes and joining their camping team to pitch both tents. Everything was in order at Site 17 before long, and they moved to the barbecue grill to prepare dinner.
It was Jon who pointed out that they might want to stop by the campground office to pick up some ice to keep their drinks cold for the evening. He gave Ben a look that Naomi interpreted as a hint that this might be a good opportunity for him to sneak a smoke. Melody, of course, was oblivious. "Hey, Melody," Ben said. "You mind watching the grill for a few minutes while your boyfriend and I take a walk up to the office?"

"No problem," Melody replied. Naomi picked up on the fact that something was going on, grabbed her cigarettes, and joined them for a walk.

They rounded a bend, getting out of sight of our campsite, as Ben took a look around them. The gravel road circled the campground, which appeared to be only about half full despite the great weather forecast for the weekend. Other campers waved to them as they passed, some of them grilling dinner, others playing cards, pitching tents, setting up card games, and just sitting around enjoying the outdoors.
Naomi pulled her Pall Malls out of her pocket, took one, and offered one to Jon. They both lit up.

Meanwhile, Ben joined them and lit up his own cigarette. Naomi had trouble keeping her eyes off her husband, nearly stumbling into a tree as they continued to walk toward the office.

"Melody is clueless, I assume," Naomi said.

"Oh yeah," Jon said. "She's gonna want to kill me when she finds out."

They each carried a bag of ice from the office, walking slowly so that Jon could smoke another of Ben’s cigarettes before they got back to site 17. He liked the alternating textures of the Marlboros and Pall Malls. Ben began asking him questions about his smoking, and they learned that Jon had started casually lighting up with some of his buddies from work a couple of years earlier, after a drunken night out. After bumming cigarettes for so long at work, he drove one day to the closest gas station and bought a pack of Marlboro Lights. He'd been smoking that brand ever since, but mentioned that he liked the Marlboro Reds in particular Ben had given him on the trip down.

Jon threw his nearly finished Marlboro aside as they rounded the bend and neared the site. Ben echoed his sentiment from earlier in the day, telling Jon they'd be happy to help him get away from Melody as often as possible so he could join the married couple in smoking.

"Unless you want to come out of the closet this weekend," Naomi said.

From the look on his face, Naomi guessed this was a possibility Jon hadn't considered. They had made it back to Site 17, so the topic was dropped.

"Took you a while," Melody said, gesturing toward a picnic table full of food.

"Dinner's ready." Ben was the first to sit at the table.

"They were doing a little bonding, Melody." Naomi replied. Naomi was beginning to get the feeling that there might be some unforeseen smoking adventures on the Ben for the weekend as she and Ben put their packs on the table.

Naomi had already begun to formulate a plan to allow Jon to enjoy his smoking habit in the open before the end of the weekend.

Ben and Naomi retired early, making excuses about being tired from the drive or the abbreviated day at work. It was pretty obvious to Melody and Jon that they were heading into the tent to get reacquainted, and in light of their with-it attitudes toward their orientation there was no need for any pretence. They were in such a hurry to get their clothes off that they forgot to grab their cigarettes from the picnic table as they left. It was the first time they'd had plain old sex in a week, and while it was a different experience they were both completely satisfied. Their bodies seemed to fit together perfectly, no matter how they had them contorted during their physical encounter.

"Is Melody gonna let up on the anti-smoking crusade tomorrow?" Ben asked as they cuddled together in a sleeping bag.

"I think she will," Naomi said, a note of mischief in her sleepy voice.

Melody had a full breakfast ready for them when they rolled out of the tent at eight the next morning. "Hope you smokers managed to get at least a few hours of sleep in last night," he said, flipping pancakes on the portable grill. "You're going to need your energy to keep up with us today."

"Melody," Naomi said huskily, about to light the first cigarette of the day, which she had slid between her lips even before taking a sip of the dark coffee.

"What in the hell are you doing with pancake batter on a camping trip?" Naomi lit up and dragged hungrily.

Ben took a seat beside Naomi at the table, joining suit with his own first-of-the-day smoke.

"Coffee's great, Melody. You got a gas-powered machine in your tent?"

Melody smiled proudly and put the plates in front of them. "When you two smokers are done getting your little fix there, dig in."

Ben looked at Naomi, remembering her last comment of the night before. "I think you may be right," he said.

Jon was just getting back from one of the showers up by the office. He snuck a look at Ben and Naomi and winked as he put his duffel bag back in their tent--obviously he had managed to sneak a morning smoke from Ben while his girlfriend slaved at the Coleman stove.

The campground bus dropped them off at the starting point at about 9:30. They had planned a two-day trip, with one night scheduled to be spent camping right on the river, so their canoes were loaded with gear when they pushed off shore and got started. Naomi helped Ben get his essentials organized, making sure he had a full pack of smokes and a lighter in a zip-lock bag within easy reach. They had an extra carton of smokes triple-waterproofed in the canoe, just in case. Each of the canoes had a big cooler tied down in the middle, packed with a few perishable food items and lots and lots of alcoholic beverages. Once they paddled to the middle of the slow-moving river, Naomi was surprised to see Melody dig into her cooler and pull out a can of pre-mixed daiquiri. She popped the top and took her first swig before ten in the morning. Naomi was planning to do the same, seeing as they were on vacation and all, but party-pooper Melody drinking so early was a surprise.

"Starting so early, Melody?" Naomi said. She took another swig and raised her aluminium can in her sister’s direction in a toast.

"To the weekend," Melody said, smiling. Then, looking at her boyfriend at the front of the craft, said, " We’re on our way." Jon popped his own drink, a coke, a surprised look on his face - Who knew Melody would loosen up so quickly.

"Hey, Melody," Ben said, grabbing a beer from the cooler. "Drinking at ten in the morning…what's next? You're not gonna start smoking today too, are you?"

"Yeah right!” Melody said incredulously.

"Whadaya mean?" Ben said with a gleam in his eye, looking at Naomi rather than at Melody.

"You know," he said, "You ought to try it. You might like it. You might like it and stop giving us shit about it all the time." Naomi had rarely seen this mischievous side of Ben before; it was amusing. He went on. "Actually, Melody, you don't know what you're missing."

"What I’m missing?" Melody retorted. Jon looked on with great interest as the debate began to pick up steam.

"What I’m missing is heart disease, lung cancer, and emphysema!" Melody stated proudly.

"You know what, Melody," Naomi said as Jon grabbed an oar and began to put some distance between the canoes.

"At your age, you could start smoking today and not even worry about any smoking-related health problems. You'll die of something else first!"

Melody responded again. "You're crazy! It'll be a cold day in hell when you see Naomi near one of those cancer sticks! A cold day in hell!" Melody and Jon rounded a bend in the river. Ben and Naomi dug into the plastic bags for the first smoke of their trip down the river.

"This is gonna be fun," Naomi said. In response, Ben snapped his jaw and let go with a perfect trio of smoke rings.

They had a great day on the river, joining Melody and Jon for most of the morning and afternoon but pulling away from time to time for some privacy and--once--some quick action in a secluded cave they found in the cliffs. Jon managed to sneak away with Ben and Naomi once after they stopped to eat some lunch on the rocky shore, chaining two of Ben's Marlboros while the three of them were off "exploring," as they told Melody. Ben lit the second one for Jon, and Naomi could tell by the look on his face that he was getting off on helping Jon sneak smokes behind Melody’s back.

They'd floated almost fifteen miles when dusk began to encroach and they decided to start looking for a suitable campsite along the river. They found a reasonably level and clear patch of ground at a quiet little bend, and took to the task of making camp. Perhaps because he hadn't had a smoke in many hours and needed to work off some nervous energy, Jon did the lion's share of the work, and by dark they had a nice little fire going and were ready to relax for the evening. Hunting for firewood had been a good excuse for Jon to wander off, a spare pack of Marlboros and a lighter from Ben tucked into his pocket. He told them he'd had a heck of a time finding dry wood when he returned twenty minutes later, looking relaxed and smelling of smoke. "You'll want to stay downwind of your girlfriend for a few minutes," Naomi advised.

Part 3

It was a miracle that they managed to pitch their tents and pull together a modest dinner, considering that they'd been drinking all day. Somehow, the fresh air and hot sun must have had a curbing effect on all of their blood alcohol levels; they were still going strong at nine that night after dinner was finished and the four of them sat down to relax by the campfire. Melody brought fresh drinks for all, and Jon watched longingly as Ben and Naomi lit their cigarettes and exhaled plumes of smoke that drifted into the quiet moonlit night. Ben sat to his left, Jon to his right, Melody over on the far side of the little gathering. For a moment, no one spoke. It was a peaceful, completely relaxing setting. As Naomi sat there wondering how to start the conversation she had been anticipating all day, Melody walked right into her trap.

"Okay…" Melody started. "I have a serious question for you. Now, I’m not trying to give you shit or pick a fight or anything like that." She paused, sipped her gin. "I would just really like to know what it is about smoking that keeps you both doing it. Knowing the health risks, knowing all of that…why does someone choose to continue smoking?" Naomi noticed that her words were just the slightest bit slurred, providing a sign that the day’s drinking pace had finally begun to loosen Melody’s militant anti-smoking stance and give her some alcohol-induced curiosity. "I would really like to hear an answer to that question."

Ben spoke first as Naomi considered possible responses. "Let your sister give you her perspective.” he said, a smile playing at the corners of her mouth.

Naomi looked over at Jon, who shared her amused look. He was rubbing the outside of his jeans, feeling the outline of the pack of cigarettes concealed within.

"Well, sis, I’ll tell you. I’ve always had an interest in smoking, since I was young enough to notice our parents smoking. I’ve always thought it makes them look…mature. I guess I was always curious. One night at the student bar, I had had a bit to drink and my inhibitions were down, so I asked some things I had wanted to know for a long time. My friends at Uni just looked like they was enjoying those cigarettes so much…I got to wanting to actually find out what I might have been missing for so many years."

Naomi picked up her Pall Malls and extended the pack toward Melody. "I really, really enjoy these things, sis. And while I would have been all wrapped up in Ben over there regardless of whether or not he was a smoker, it's really a great thing when the two of us can sit down together and have a smoke. I like it. Bottom line is, I love it."

"But…wait a minute," Melody said. "I don't understand what it is that you like."

"Melody," Ben finally got into the discussion. "That's not something you can understand. You simply cannot understand what we like about smoking, how it tastes, how it feels, what it does, if you've never smoked a cigarette. And I know that you never have. Because if you had, you wouldn't have been giving us a hard time about it for all these years."

The entire discussion had been held in rather hushed tones, probably because they were surrounded by so much quiet. No one spoke for a moment, as Melody considered their response. Jon surprised them by breaking the silence. He cleared his throat, then looked at his girlfriend.

"Maybe you ought to try one." There was no immediate reply. Jon took a swig from his beer and looked into the fire.

"Have you ever tried smoking, Jon?" Melody asked the question flatly, and looked at his as he waited for an answer. "Have you?”

"Yeah." Jon continued to look straight ahead rather than meeting Melody’s stare.

Melody exhaled audibly as she considered her next words. She shifted slightly, turning to face Jon. "You have?"

"Yeah, I have. I’ve tried smoking." Jon finally looked back.

"How many times?" Melody's voice was a little louder than before. The slight slur Naomi had detected only minutes earlier now seemed to be gone.

Jon sat motionless for an instant, quickly going over his options. Then in one continual motion, perhaps so that he wouldn't have the chance to change his mind, Jon reached into his pocket, pulled out the box of Marlboros and lighter, stuck a cigarette in his mouth, lit it, inhaled very deeply, tilted his head ever so slightly upward, and exhaled a stream of smoke into the white cloud emanating from the campfire.

Naomi stole a glance at Ben, who looked back at Naomi with a cocked eyebrow and pleased grin. Naomi returned the look as the four of them sat in silence.

Melody didn't speak until Jon took the second drag from his Marlboro.

"What in the hell do you think you're doing?!" Melody had kicked up the volume in her voice by another notch, but was still not yelling.

"I’m disgusted at you. Disgusted.”

Now Melody was yelling. Jon never looked at her. Instead, he stood up and walked away, through the space between the two tents and off into the darkness. They heard his footsteps crunching on the gravel until he got to the edge of the woods, and then he was gone.

Part 4

Immediately, Melody shot Naomi the look of death. "Are you responsible for this?"

Naomi laughed, as did Ben.

"Oh, Melody, get serious," Naomi responded. Melody said nothing, simply stared at Naomi. Naomi continued. "Jon has been smoking for years, and I just found out last night on the way here."
"What do you mean, on the way here? He told you about all this while I was asleep?" Melody tried to take a swig of gin from her empty can before reaching into the cooler for another. "What did he tell you?"
"After you fell asleep in the back seat, Jon bummed one of my cigarettes and we had a little talk. He has been hiding his habit from you since you started dating. Jon feared your reaction if you found out. However, Jon’s not going to quit. Like us, he is hooked."

Nobody said anything for a moment, until Naomi tried to get Melody talking again once she seemed to have regained her composure. "I hope it doesn't bother you as much as you let on when he lit up a minute ago…because in my opinion there's no reason in the world for you to be upset."

Naomi finished her thought. "You know, it took a hell of a lot of courage for Jon to pull those cigarettes out of his pocket and light one in front of his vehemently-non-smoking girlfriend."

"I am too," Ben interjected as he got on his feet and headed toward the shoreline. "Jon’s got guts."
"He's not going to quit smoking for you, Melody," Naomi finished. "He pretty much told me so on the way down here yesterday. Like millions of others, Jon is a smoker. You'll have to get used to it." Naomi lit a Marlboro to punctuate her statement, while Melody stared thoughtfully into the dying campfire.

Ben returned to the pow-wow. "So, Melody…" He shook a Red from his pack and placed it between his lips. "What are you going to say to Jon when he comes back from hiding out in the woods?"

"I really don't know," Melody said thoughtfully. "I don't know. I’m sitting here trying to digest all of this…and I’m thinking that I may need to rethink our relationship. He lied on his profile, and part of me thinks I should dump him for lying to me, but in this instance--here, tonight--I know I reacted poorly." Naomi laughed quietly.

"Why are you laughing, Naomi? I’m being totally serious." When she said the word serious, it came out slurred, sounding more like "theriouth."

"That's why I’m laughing," Naomi said. The three of them snickered in unison, knowing that they had all gone well past the line of sobriety.

"Gueth I’m a little sthnockered," Melody said, intentionally slurring his words.

Ben spoke next. "Jon smoking is not something I would call a mistake," he said. "It's an addiction of his, and I for one vote that you don’t turn your back on him."

"Oh, we’re voting?" Melody answered. Support him, huh…" He thought for a moment.

"Actually, the more I think about this, the more I start to suspect that my little outburst may have been based on envy more than anything else." Melody replied

"Envy?" Naomi prompted. Now this sounded promising.

Melody continued. "Envy." She shifted in her seat and turned to face them. "Like you said, …it's not something I can understand. The three of you can sit over there and smoke your cigarettes, and I have no connection to that bit of bonding or whatever it is that goes on between smokers. Now…when you said that Jon snuck a cigarette with you, while I was sleeping, on the way down here that bothered me. Not so much because he was smoking--although that does make me mad as hell--but more because it was something the three of you shared, a moment that I missed because Jon sees me as…what? A square? Am I a square?"

Ben looked at Naomi. "Melody is a very analytical lady, isn't she? A square, analytical woman."

"Melody," Naomi said, grinning at Ben's barb, "Why don't you grab them some fresh gins and scoot over here closer to us." Melody did as Naomi requested. "Listen," Naomi said, reaching for her cigarettes and lighter. Naomi slid one out of the pack but held off on pointing it in Melody's direction. "You need to try one of these. You're curious--I know you are. So just sit here--out in the middle of nowhere where nobody's going to see you—and smoke a cigarette with us. Give it a try. You're not going to get addicted by smoking one cigarette. You're not going to get lung cancer. And you can still go back to giving us shit about smoking in the morning if you like. We’ll even help dump Jon for you, sis." Naomi raised her pack of Pall Malls to within inches of Melody's hand.

She looked down at the beckoning cigarette. Melody opened her mouth slightly as if to speak, then thought better of it and simply took the cigarette between her thumb and forefinger before looking back up at Naomi. "Tell me how to smoke," Melody sighed.

Ben and Naomi each gave Melody a quick smoking lesson before allowing her to light up. Once they were comfortable that she'd not cause herself to go into a coughing fit, they each took out their own cigarettes and showed Melody what they meant by "just a tiny amount of smoke at first." It was strange and oddly empowering to see a woman in her forties who was normally in complete control at all times looking so frightened at the prospect of performing a task that, to Naomi, had been second nature.

"All right, I’m ready," she said. "I can't believe I’m going to do this." Melody put the unlit cigarette between her lips. Ben was struck by how sexy Melody looked with the cigarette dangling from her nicely-shaped lips. Naomi handed Melody her lighter, and she brought the flame to life with a single flick. There was a look of great concentration in her eyes as she performed an action she had disdained for so many years; Melody lit her very first cigarette.

Melody took a couple of tentative puffs at first, as Ben and Naomi had suggested. "Not too bad, really," she said, tasting the tobacco in her mouth. Then, without urging, she took a small amount of smoke into her mouth, inhaled shallowly, and exhaled what appeared to be nothing but air. Melody looked at Naomi, then at Ben. "Like that?" she asked. "Try inhaling a little more," Ben prompted. She took a deeper drag and inhaled. Her second exhale produced some visible smoke, and Melody smiled slightly before speaking again. "I’m doing it, aren't I? Good God, I’m smoking." They laughed, the three of them, smoking together.

"Is it what you expected?" Naomi asked, knowing what sort of answer she would get.

"No…no, not at all," Melody responded. She took another, deeper drag and exhaled nicely. Melody looked at the Pall Mall burning between her index and middle fingers, then at Naomi. "I’m very surprised. It actually tastes quite interesting. I think my throat is burning a bit, but it's not bad." She took another drag. "Damn, that tastes pretty good!" She hadn't completely exhaled before speaking, and a little smoke escaped from her mouth while she spoke. "I think I’m getting a buzz from this."

"That's the nicotine," Ben said. "It took all of us a while to get used to it at first."

Melody smoked that first cigarette all the way down to the filter, as if she wasn't sure she'd ever allow herself to have another. Naomi had a distinct feeling that it wouldn't be long before her sister did. "I think I can understand a little better now. Thanks," Melody said.

"I’m sorry I got so upset earlier." As she spoke, they heard branches cracking in the woods behind them, and Jon emerged from the woods. "Hey guys," he said, then looked at Melody. "Hey Jon." Sheepishly, he piled some fresh wood onto the fire and took a seat to Melody's right.

"I’m sorry I got carried away, Jon," Melody said genuinely. Jon was taken by surprise, but followed the apology with one of his own. "Me too, Sorry I sprung that on you like that. Guess I’ve had a lot to drink today and wasn't really thinking." As he finished his sentence, Jon popped the top on a fresh beer. The four of them broke into laughter, and the tension was gone.

"Listen, Jon," Melody said, concentrating on his pronunciation. "I’ll try not to give you too much trouble about smoking. It's okay by me."

Jon was shocked. "Really?" Melody nodded, flashing her blue eyes. "What happened?" Jon asked, looking at Naomi.

"Let's just say Melody had a change of heart while you were out collecting wood," Naomi said. Naomi wasn't sure she should reveal to Jon that Melody had actually smoked a cigarette of her own while he was away.

"OK," Jon said. He immediately fetched his smokes from his jeans and took advantage of the new arrangement. He appeared to hesitate for a second, and then with a smile on his face held the pack and his lighter out to Melody. "Want to join the party?" It was obvious that he was joking.

Melody surprised him by taking the pack and examining it. "Marlboro Reds?" she said. Melody looked at the two smoking mentors to her left. "Are these much different than your Pall Malls?" Ben and Naomi gave shrugs and nods, knowing what was coming next and savouring the moment. "I think I will try one then," Melody said, taking one from Jon’s pack and placing it between her lips. Jon was astounded. "May I have a light, sir?" Melody asked, the Marlboro bouncing between her lips as he spoke. Speechless, Jon lit his partner’s cigarette. Melody took a surprisingly deep inhale, held the smoke for a couple of seconds, and exhaled through her lips with a look of enjoyment on her face. "Say, I think I like these better."

"Jesus," Jon said, shaking his head and staring at his girlfriend. "I never thought I’d see the day."

None of them knew what an understatement that would end up being by the time the sun came up the next morning.

Part 5

Ben and Naomi stumbled into their tent shortly after the newly bonded couple hit the hay late that night. They were already complaining to each other about sore backs from the day's work on the river…but of course they weren't too tired to get into a little smoky action anyway before going to sleep. They had just gotten out of their clothes and begun to get into it when they heard a commotion outside.

"What the hell…" Ben grabbed his shorts and headed out to see what had happened. Naomi was right behind him.

When they got outside, Jon was standing in his white briefs just a few feet from the now-collapsed tent, Melody’s head popping out of the door like a baby leaving its mother's womb. Soon Melody was also standing outside in her underwear, cursing a blue streak before checking to be sure that everything was all right. A small tree lay across the centre of their tent. The two drunk, tired campers who had escaped injury eventually turned to their audience, looks of exasperation on their faces.

Naomi spoke first, a smile playing at the corners of her mouth. "Melody, don't you know how to pitch a tent? You can't sleep in that thing." At first, in the moonlight, Naomi saw a hint of the formal, rather humourless Melody who had not been with them for most of the day and evening. Then she broke into a smile and, saying nothing, simply nodded as if to acknowledge that they were still having a good time despite their misfortune.

"Well, at least no one was hurt," she said at last, walking to the other side of the tent to examine the damage. "Looks like this thing can probably go back up, if you can help me get this tree off of it."

"You really think you're going to put that back together, drunk, dead tired, in the middle of the night?" Ben asked, having popped into their tent to grab his smokes. They each lit up and waited to see what would happen next. Naomi was still feeling the effects of her early foreplay with Ben in their tent, and was anxious to get back and finish what they'd started, but if Melody decided not to fool with the mess until the morning she’d had have to wait. She and Jon might want to cram into their tent with them.

Jon walked over to them. "Hey, Ben, can I bum a smoke from you?" Ben obliged as Melody continued to stare at the pile of plastic before her.

"Of all the trees out here," he said, "how in the world did you both put a tent under the one that was going to fall over?" he said, laughing. "You're right, Ben. I’m too beat to deal with this. You want to just try to salvage the sleeping bags and sleep under the stars, Jon?" As if on cue, the moon went behind a cloud and they felt the first drops of a light rainstorm begin to fall. "Oh, great," Melody said. The four of them escaped to the one tent that was still standing.

Naomi found their small battery-powered lantern inside, and turned it on so they could try to figure out how to squeeze them all into the tent. They all laughed repeatedly while trying to find the right combination of body positions. Eventually they got reasonably close to organized.

"Oh, shit," Melody said, still sounding tipsy from the day's drinking. "I need a cigarette." She was kidding. Naomi reached above her head, located a pack of cigarettes and a lighter, lit one, and passed it behind her to Melody.

"One cigarette, as requested," Naomi said. "Empty beer can ashtray is somewhere in the tent."

Jon intercepted the Marlboro, took a drag, and handed it to his partner. "Here you go, honey."

"I was only joking," Melody said. But she took the cigarette nonetheless. Naomi was surprised. Naomi turned her head slightly to catch a glimpse of Melody taking a drag from the cigarette and was immediately feeling some physical interest in the situation. Ben reached behind her, between her legs, and heightened her excitement. "Where's that can?" Melody asked as she felt along the side of the tent and eventually located what Ben and Naomi had planned to use as our makeshift ashtray for some smoky sex just a while earlier.

"It really is relaxing," Melody said. "Smoking, I mean. I don't understand how a stimulant like nicotine can be relaxing, but it is." Melody took another drag from the cigarette and exhaled toward the window.

"I need a smoke, too," Jon said. "Me too," Ben said. Then he looked Jon right in the eyes and added, "Really?" Jon understood, as did Naomi. The three of them moved to sit Indian-style as they each lit a Marlboro, instantly filling the tent with more smoke than could possibly get out the small window flap. Jon had a big smile on his face. "I thought it was just me," he said.

"Melody, can you handle all this smoke?" Ben asked.

"Actually, it doesn't seem to bother me now that I’m smoking a cigarette myself. God, I never thought I’d hear myself saying that. Me--I’m smoking." Melody took another drag from the nearly finished cigarette.

"And enjoying the shit out of it," Naomi added.

Melody looked at Naomi thoughtfully. "Yes, I am…" she said thoughtfully. Melody was still reclined, resting on one elbow facing them, wearing only her pink panties. The rest of them faced her, Naomi in the centre, Jon to her right, and Ben to her left.

Ben took a deep drag and, without warning, leaned over and kissed Naomi, exhaling his smoke into Naomi. Naomi was surprised, but unable to break the kiss as her lungs accepted the smoke. They broke contact, and Naomi exhaled Ben's smoke into the foggy tent.

Ben and Jon each put out their cigarettes in their ash can, leaving Naomi with the only one left burning in the tent. Naomi was going to take one more drag. Naomi took it to the filter, dropped the butt in the can, and leaned forward.

Wordlessly, Ben met her lips and eagerly took every bit of the smoke into him. As Naomi exhaled into her lover, Melody and Jon watched the show in awe. Lungs empty, Naomi broke the kiss. Ben, speechless, let the smoke stream slowly out of his nose as he stared, amazed, into her eyes.

Naomi broke eye contact with Ben only to reach for the pack of cigarette and lighter behind them. Naomi slid four fresh cigarettes from the pack, giving one to each of them. Naomi held the lighter in the centre of the circle as each of them lit up again. Then as Jon finished his first inhale, Melody turned to him and put her lips on his. The light stubble on his cheeks rubbed against her palms as Melody took his face in her hands and kissed him hard, taking his smoke. While his right hand held his cigarette, Melody felt his left come to rest high on her thigh, his tentative fingers curling under the sleeping bag to within inches from her panties. Melody exhaled, and then took a drag from her own cigarette, returning the favour.

The sight was enough to push the rest of them over the edge. When it was done, the four of them fell onto our backs and smoked silently together.

Moments later, they shared a dip in the cold river, washing off the physical remnants of their surprising experiences in the tent. None of them knew how they'd feel about what they'd done once they returned to the outside world, but that didn't seem to matter. The rain had passed, and the first hint of dawn played at the edge of the sky as they basked in the afterglow of an evening none of them would ever forget.

While Ben and Jon swam upstream together Naomi met Melody at the shore, and they shared a sleeping bag to dry themselves. "Not what I expected when I called you yesterday, Naomi" she said. Naomi stood motionless for a second, trying to digest what had come to pass since that phone call. They looked at each other and smiled, before walking naked to the tent and returning with a pack of her Pall Malls.

Naomi lit up and inhaled, and stared up at the lightening sky, realizing they still had a full day of canoeing ahead of them--on absolutely no sleep.

"Say, Melody, what sort of day do you expect today?" Naomi asked her sister.

Melody looked over at Naomi, lighter in her hand, an unlit Marlboro resting between her lips from Jon’s pack, a wonderfully relaxed look on her face. Melody took the cigarette from her lips and smiled.

"Cold," Melody answered. "It's a cold day in Hell." Melody turned toward the river, returned the cigarette to her lips, cupped her hand around the lighter, and lit her first cigarette of the morning.
© Copyright 2020 Blackbladder (blackbladder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2230897-A-Cold-Day-in-Hell