*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2231738-The-Interview
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by SuzyG
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #2231738
A short story

Siddhavati was running late. She had finally gotten an interview with one of the top tech companies in New York and was determined to land the job. But the day had gotten off to a rough start. First, her alarm didn't go off (in her nervousness, she had set it for 5:30 PM setting instead of 5:30 AM). Next, she had to wait five minutes for the water to heat up in the shower (a constant annoyance in winter, which she should have planned for). But she was willing to make compromises if the rent was affordable and they allowed pets. Nothing was going to separate her from Mitzi, her beloved tabby cat.

The interview was being conducted at the firm's Long Island City location, which was perfect for her. Although she and her friends often spent their weekends in the city, Siddhavati preferred working closer to home. The thought of relying on the subway to get her to work on time was way too stressful. She liked to be in control, and driving to work provided that. Truth be told, Sidd liked being in control of every aspect of her life. Which was probably why her romantic relationships were generally short-lived.

Several inches of wet snow had fallen overnight, enough where Sidd had to use the scraper to clear the windshield. Her fifteen-year-old car had seen better days but at least it was paid for. Sure, it didn't start some days and she would have to get a jump from her neighbor. But until she started making more money, it would have to do. Fortunately, "Old Bessie" (as her dad called it) was cooperating this morning. She patted the old girl's dashboard in appreciation.

Checking the rear view mirror before pulling away from the curb, Sidd gasped at her image. Frizzy hair and raccoon eyes stared back at her. It hadn't taken long for the damp weather to wreak havoc with her appearance. She reached across the car for her makeup bag (like a prepared girl scout, it never left her side) and cursed. How could she have forgotten that? Did she have time to go back upstairs and get it? Her appointment was scheduled for 9:00. She had allotted twenty-five minutes for the drive and another five minutes to park the car and take the elevator to the 6th floor. It was already 8:20. Sidd let out an exasperated sigh. She'd have to fix herself up as best she could when she got there.

The roads were more slippery than Sidd had expected, causing everyone to drive with extra caution. Nervously tapping her hand against the steering wheel, she repeatedly checked the time. She took pride in her punctuality, even though she was aware it bordered on obsessiveness. Her friends were always telling her to lighten up on herself, but that just wasn't her way. She could blame her need for order and precision on her parents for giving her a first name that meant "achieving perfection." Or she could blame it on her birth sign, Virgo, which was synonymous with perfectionism. But for the most part, Sidd was proud to be someone others viewed as responsible and reliable.

Sidd reached over to change the radio station to something more mellow. She definitely needed to chill out before the interview. When she shifted her eyes back to the road, she gasped. In the split second she had taken her eyes from the road, the traffic had come to a complete standstill. She quickly started pumping her brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of her. Unfortunately, she felt her car slide into the rear of the vehicle with a soft thud. Please don't let there be any damage, she prayed as the driver approached her window.

"I'm really sorry, sir. The traffic stopped so suddenly, I just couldn't brake in time," she said looking up at him.

He was an older guy, maybe around 50ish. "Apparently a car up ahead lost control and sideswiped another vehicle," he replied. "They're working on getting the cars off the road now. It shouldn't be long."

Sidd got out the car to assess the damage. "This morning has been like Murphy's Law. Whatever could go wrong has gone wrong!"

"Yes, I've had those days too," the man said. "Well, the good news is my brother-in-law owns a car repair shop and I'm sure he can smooth out this dent without much of a problem. It's pretty minor."

Sidd heaved a sigh of relief. She asked if he wanted her cell number so she could pay for the repairs, but he shook his head. "One of the perks that come with family! Hey, it looks like things are moving again. Well, take care. Hope your day improves!"

After climbing back in her Honda, Sidd checked the time. She had twenty minutes left. Thank God the man hadn't been a jerk that overreacted. Otherwise, they'd still be there waiting for a cop to come and write up a police report.

Sidd got back in the car and headed towards the next intersection. According to Google Maps, she was supposed to turn left onto 10th Street. Okay, she thought. Slow and steady. The traffic was easing up a bit and moving along. She just had to get this job. The salary was almost double what she was making now and the benefits were incredible. She had her old college roommate to thank for setting up the interview, and she didn't want to blow it.

She finally spotted the office building coming up on her right. The clock on the dash read 8:55. Almost there, she thought. I can do this. Just then, the engine began making some weird noises. Not wanting to stall in the middle of traffic, Sidd pulled off the road into a 7-11, barely making it before her car died.

Grabbing her things, Sidd got out, locked the car and ran the last block. She would have to deal with her car later. When she finally reached the building, her shoes were soaking wet from the melting snow. Making her way to the nearest rest room, she checked her watch. 9:05. Late for an interview. Not acceptable. She fought her rising panic and took stock of the situation.

Her hair was hopeless. All she could do was pat down the frizz as best she could. Then she dampened a paper towel and cleaned up the mascara from under her eyes. It wasn't perfect, but her only other option was to remove all her eye makeup, which she had no intention of doing. Her suede shoes (who knew she would have to walk part of the way?) were ruined and squished with every step. After taking one last look in the mirror, Sidd stepped out of her shoes and stuffed them in her bag. I'll just explain what happened. That a series of unfortunate events beyond my control was to blame for my tardiness. After all, honesty is the best policy, as they say.

Ignoring the strange looks she was getting, Sidd took the elevator up to Suite 601. She checked in with the receptionist, taking note of her name badge.

"Hi Amanda, I have an interview this morning with Josh Wheaton."

Amanda glanced at her computer screen, looking perplexed. She started to say something, but Sidd cut her off.

"I know I'm late, but only by ten minutes, so I'm hoping Mr. Wheaton will still see me."

"Um, let me check and I'll be right back," said Amanda, giving Sidd a strange look.

Sidd sat down, grabbed a magazine and started aimlessly leafing through it. A few minutes later, Amanda returned. "Mr. Wheaton will see you now," she said, leading Sidd into his office.

Josh Wheaton got up from behind his desk and came around to shake Sidd's hand. "So nice to meet you, Miss Mehta. Please, have a seat." Glancing down at her feet, he said "Er, is there a reason you're barefoot?"

Fighting off her humiliation, Sidd forced a laugh and leaned forward in her chair.

"Gosh, you just wouldn't believe the morning I had. My alarm didn't go off, the shower took forever to heat up, I forgot my makeup bag so I couldn't fix my frizzy hair and raccoon eyes after spending five minutes in the damp wiping off my windshield. Then, on the way here, I had a minor fender bender, and a block before this building my car died completely, so I had to run the rest of the way, which ruined my shoes. But really, I want to apologize for being late. I mean, it's totally not like me, you can ask anyone who knows me and they'll tell you how punctual I am. In fact, my friends all make fun of me and how I am such a perfectionist, which I totally am, but not in a bad way. I just think being organized and having a plan is essential to success. Whether personal of professional, you know? I mean, with a first name like mine, which means achieving perfection, and and being a Virgo, I come by it quite honestly. While most people rely on their smart phones to keep track of appointments, I keep a huge calendar taped to my kitchen cabinet. I simply had one of those mornings when everything goes wrong. I promise, if you just give me a chance, I won't disappoint you."

Sidd sat back in her chair, let out a big breath and smiled at who she hoped would be her future boss. He was leaning against his desk with his arms crossed, quietly observing her.

"Well, Miss Mehta, I would say you were the victim of circumstances beyond your control."

Sidd nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, exactly! You can see that my intentions were good. As I said, you won't find a more reliable, orderly, detail-oriented individual. My middle name is responsible!"

Mr. Wheaton nodded and smiled.

"I have no problem excusing your lack of punctuality this morning, Miss Mehta. Especially after listening to your explanation. There's just one thing. Our interview was scheduled for tomorrow."

© Copyright 2020 SuzyG (susangeogh at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2231738-The-Interview