*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2238418-The-video-call
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Children's · #2238418
Two friends from across the world discuss winter
Written for Daily flash fiction prompt - 'Winter is coming'

"Mommy, say hi to Cherry." My daughter was on a video call with her best friend who lives in Philly. Ever since we returned to India, three years ago, every Sunday 7.00 pm calls has become a ritual. As they pour their hearts out on video calls. I couldn't help but reminiscence. Boarding the school bus holding hands, and putting it in Vidhya's jacket pockets for warmth, waving goodbyes like twins. It was a pleasure to watch them. I used to dread picking them up though. They would come back as dragons, spitting fire. By the time we reached home, they would be kitten in mitten again. "Auntie, can I play with Vidiya, please, pretty please?" She would ask ever so sweetly. "Winter is coming, dear" First let's leave the bags and grab something to eat." I would tell her.

"Can you see outside the window, Vidiya? Winter is coming. So it's dark out there. It's also windy.Remember we used to play here? Auntie? Do you remember you will always say, wind is asking us to go inside. If we won't go, wind will get angry and carry us away like it did Dorothy in Wizard of Oz?" Cherry was laughing. Bless her heart! sweetie pie. She used to believe everything that I said!.

"Well auntie, I knew it was not true. But I didn't want to say that to you because I could see you wiping your nose. I didn't want you sick. So I just went home." Her voice was musical. Being busted by a ten year old didn't hurt, as I wondered how much she had noticed and cared! "Vidiya, how is your winter? Can you show me outside your window?" Cherry quipped. "we have only rainy days, I made some paper boats, can you see it?" my daughter took the phone and ran to the window, chatting and laughing away the winter blues, these two are certainly best friends forever!


© Copyright 2020 Jasmine (dhivya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2238418-The-video-call