*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2245371-HOW-COULD-I-HAVE-CORONA-VIRUS
by Emmist
Rated: E · Fiction · Experience · #2245371
A short story about a young boy experience during the Corona virus pandemic
Just a few days after the news of the virus was announced to the public, the federal government declared all institutions in the country closed till further notice and this made me pack my things and travel to my father's house. It was around 5pm in the evening that the bus was fully occupied by the passengers and this made me get home very late in the night.
That night, I was really tired even though I didn't engage in any stress throughout the day. My mummy attributed it to the stress and burden of traveling by commercial bus. If daddy was around he would have said the same, but he was on a trip. Mummy served my dinner but unfortunately, I lost appetite and I was left with no option other than going to bed leaving the food on the dining table.
It was the sound of the nasty coughs I was making that woke my Mummy from her deep sleep. She ran to my room and handed over a cup of water to me to drink but the rate at which I sneezed couldn't allow the water to stay in my mouth.
'What have you taken that make you sneeze this much?' Mummy asked looking confused and she continued 'try to take a little water, it will relief you'
It was my persistent sneezing that made her believe I was playing a prank on her.
'If this is a joke please stop! if u are doing this to intentionally make me worried so that I can make food for you this night, you are deceiving yourself because you wasted the one I made for you yesterday' she stated angrily.
At this point, I couldn't breathe well as the pressure of the cough disrupted the flow of air through my nostril and mouth. I wanted to defend myself from Mummy's accusation, but I couldn't.
'Mum...Ahem! I'm not playing a prank on...Ahem!' That was all I could say as the coughs kept interrupting.
What made mummy believe my words and took the whole thing more seriously was that as she held my hands, she discovered that I was having high temperature- my body was more warm than normal.
'I need to take you to see the doctor, I think you are having fever. Oh! malaria I mean' she said as she left the room.
Mummy wanted to confirm from the doctor if he would be around at the clinic, so she picked her phone and called his number.
'Morning sir, please are you at the clinic? Seyi returned from school yesternight and he hasn't been feeling fine' mummy started the conversation with the doctor on phone.
'Yes, but what is the nature of his illness, what are the symptoms he has been exhibiting?' He asked.
'I noticed he was tired when he returned yesterday and he couldn't eat till he went to bed last night until he woke me with severe coughs this morning and I discovered he is having high temperature' she responded.
'What! Wha...t have you ju...st said, all these symptoms? I will be in your place with some team shortly. Just make sure you do not move close to him it's very dangerous' he hanged up.
Just a few minutes after, the doctor arrived with a team of medical experts who covered their body from head to toe with something I can't really describe. Mummy and I were still staring in disbelief when the doctor and his team entered.
'I don't understand this anymore, doctor. I only complained about my son's illness, I didn't tell you we needed surgery.' mummy informed the doctor.
'Your son is having coronavirus, this is why I invited the NCDC here to take your son along with them to the isolation center with immediate effect. We need to conduct a test on you also as you might have contracted it from him' the doctor announced.
'We are officers of National Centre for Disease Control, we got information that your son is having symptoms of coronavirus, so we've come to take him to our center where he will be receiving proper treatment' one of the men said facing my Mummy.
I couldn't believe what I heard, how could I have coronavirus? God forbid! Mummy and I had nothing to prove that my symptoms were in any way related to that of coronavirus. So my mummy agreed that the test be conducted.
The NCDC officers commenced the test and the result proved that Mummy was negative to the virus. I wasn't nervous until it was my turn to be tested.
What frightened me and made me more anxious was the delay and hesitation of the test result. I could sight in my mummy's reaction that she was really nervous when the doctor insisted on conducting the test on me the second time.
'Hope it wasn't on the bus I boarded yesterday that I contacted the virus' I was still speculating while expecting the test result.
Everyone was amazed as the NCDC officers announced that the results of the series of tests conducted on me proved that I was negative to the virus. Again, the results of the two tests conducted confirmed that I had no coronavirus and it was asserted that my illness was just normal malaria and nothing more. I was given some pills and the doctor apologized to us for the while he pleaded with the NCDC officers for providing unverified information.

The end
© Copyright 2021 Emmist (emmist at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2245371-HOW-COULD-I-HAVE-CORONA-VIRUS