*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2245829-Home
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2245829
Flash Fiction
Home

“Why do we have to go?” Jimmy said.

“It isn’t safe here.”

“You always say that.”

“Only when it’s true.”

“Well, when won’t it be true?”

“When we find a place where we can spend a whole day and night just being ourselves. Just living our life and not always watching out for danger.”

“That’s funny.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Because I’ve never seen a place like that.”

“Well I have.”

“Really? When?”

“When I was a child, I lived in a place like that. Every day we went out and played and found food and watched the river flow by, and just sat around in the sunshine. We never had to worry about danger.”

“What happened?”

“One day I wandered out too far and I was caught by humans. They took me to a building and I was put in a cage and I was sold as a pet. It took me years to escape.”

“Did you go home?”

“I didn’t know where home was. And I had you, you were just a baby then.”

“I’m not a baby now!”

“You’re not. Maybe you can help now, help us find a special place like I grew up in. Away from the people and buildings.”

“Me? Yes, I’m bigger now, I can help!”

“Ok! We will start right now. We need to be quiet, we need to stay hidden, and we need to try to find our way away from the buildings.”

Jimmy was very good right from the start, taking his job seriously. He could also fit into smaller places to see if places were clear before they entered them.

That was the day they finally found the edge of the city, the field, and then the river. That was the very day they found their way home.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2245829-Home