*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2246031-The-Deal-Maker
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2246031
Flash Fiction
The Deal Maker

“James, don’t move, pretend we’re having a conversation,” Susan said quietly.

“We are.”

“I know, I want to put on a little show for Randy and Trish.”

“Huh?”

“You know how they always spy on us. They think they’re keeping us ‘in line’ for Mom, so we won’t get carried away and elope or something.”

“I know, it’s cute.”

“To you, to me it’s annoying. Mom has told them a dozen times to stop but they won’t, so let’s give them something to report!”

“Like what?”

“I’ll start, you just go along. They’re watching us. Talk loud enough but not too loud or they’ll know we’re faking it. OK?”

“OK, I’m ready.”

“So,” Susan started, a bit louder and clearer, “I’ll go in and distract them, you slip in the back and steal all the money!”

“How will I know where the money is?” James asked.

“They always keep it in the desk drawer, I saw them put it away last time I was at the library!”

“So, we’re really going to rob the library! Finally, we’ll have lots of money! Let’s go to the Mall this weekend!

“I’m so excited! Let’s go get our stuff ready!”

James looked at her with a wondering look on his face like ‘what stuff?’ and she looked back like ‘who cares?’ and they both clapped their hands over their mouths to keep from laughing as they walked away.

Later on, Mom stopped Susan as she came in. “So how did the library heist go?”

“We ended up checking out a couple good books, does that count?”

“How about you promise the kids you will give up your life of crime, if they stop spying on you?”

“Do you think it will work?”

“I think it will make their day!”

“You got a deal!”
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2246031-The-Deal-Maker