*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2246448-Making-Plans
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2246448
Flash Fiction
Making Plans

I was sitting in a chair. I had no idea how I had gotten here, but it didn’t seem to bother me. I felt content.

Glancing around, I was in a room, sitting next to a large window. Outside I could see trees and sky, it seemed to be a summer day.

On the large window sill were a number of things. A tray with a pitcher and cup, a book from the library, a pile of papers, as well as a number of small things. Something shiny caught my eye, it seemed to be a bracelet. Just as I reached out for it, a clock on the wall started chiming.

Distracted, I glanced up, it was nine o’clock. I immediately realized it must be morning since it was still light. That made me smile because I had the whole day to enjoy. Turning back, the bracelet caught my eye again. I reached out for it once again, this time picking it up.

Suddenly, touching the bracelet, I became aware of who I was. I was rich! But right now, I was in a facility for the mentally impaired. They said I had memory problems. As all this crashed into my head, the door opened and Andrea, my nurse, came in.

“Oh Rita!” she said, “I didn’t mean to leave that out! Here let me put it away for you. You can play with it later.” She snatched the bracelet out of my hand.

But this time, I still remembered. I remembered who I was, and how long they had kept me here. I remembered how they would let me remember for only small periods of time so they could pick my brain. But I smiled, as if I didn’t.

Because, inside, I’d started making some plans of my own.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2246448-Making-Plans