*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2246551-Party
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2246551
Flash Fiction
Party

“Alan open the door!” called Mom.

“Um... it’s stuck!” a small voice called back.

“It is not stuck, it’s locked. I can see the lock from here. Who locked the door? Open the door! These groceries are getting heavy!”

“I can’t reach it.”

“Pull a chair over. I’m going to speak to your brother very harshly if he thinks this is funny! Be careful!
Just pull that red chair over Honey. Hurry up!”

“You can’t come in.”

“What?”

“You can’t come in.”

“Did your brother put you up to this?”

“Did his brother put him up to what?” came a voice over her shoulder making her jump.

“Jared! I thought you were in the house watching Alan!”

“I was, but Alan told me that you told him to tell me to run down to the store and get ice cream.”

“What? Alan! You told Jared to go to the store? You better open this door right now Mister! You are in big trouble!”

The door slowly opened. There was Alan, holding a “cake” made of gram crackers and peanut butter topped off with two huge candles that used to be in the candle holder in the front window.

“Happy Birthday Mom!” he said.

Mom’s heart melted. Later, as they ate the cake and washed it down with ice cream, Jared whispered to his mother, “Isn’t your birthday in January?”

Mom smiled and said, “You once gave me a party in July.”

Jared smiled, “You know what? I still remember that now that you mention it. You’re a pretty good Mom.”

“I do try,” Mom said, “Especially when it involves cake and ice cream!”
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2246551-Party