*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2251154-Say-Anything
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2251154
Flash Fiction
Say Anything

“Do you want the job?” Joe asked his son Ted.

“Can you explain it to me again? I feel like I’ve missed something.”

“You drive over to Green Street and park on the curb, by the oak tree. You stand in front of your car, you hold this tape player over your head with both hands, and play this song really loud. Under Jean’s window.”

“Mrs. Renolds?”

“Yes, Jean Renolds, I gave you her address and a picture of the window you need to play it under.”

“And I need to wear a trench coat and jeans.”

“Yes.”

“How will I know when to stop?”

“I’ll give you a signal.”

“Where will you be?”

“I’ll be in the house, with Jeannie.”

“But I’ll be playing the song on this old tape deck?”

“Yes.”

“Dad. When I told you it was time for you to get back out there and meet somebody I meant you should ask somebody out. This is a little weird.”

“Teddy, I took Jean Renolds to see this movie when we were in school together. We really liked each other, but right after that, she met Dave, and I met your mother. She and I never had a second date. Now your mother is gone, and Dave is gone too, and I keep thinking maybe Jean remembers that night.

“Well, OK Dad. This is weird, but I’m game. I can do this. You’re pretty weird Dad.”

A year later Dad and Jean got married. Ted was his best man. Jean’s daughter Susan was the maid of honor, and also Ted's date...

John Cusack was invited, but he apparently wasn’t able to attend.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2251154-Say-Anything