*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2251199-Franklin
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2251199
Flash Fiction
Franklin

“I hate this town.”

“Really,” Janice said, “how long have you lived in Franklin?”

“All my life,” Sandy answered.

“Why didn’t you just move away?”

“Well, I couldn’t move out when I was young because my parents lived here. I had hoped to go elsewhere to college, but then I got a full scholarship to Brierly right here in town. We didn’t have the money to pass that up so I stayed.”

“Well, that makes sense, what about after that?”

“Master’s degree at Brierly, of course, and then I met Ben.”

“But Ben wasn’t from here, was he?”

“No. But Ben had grown up moving from place to place every year or so. His parents were in the military. All he wanted was to stay in one place and he loved Franklin. He loved that I knew it so well and knew everybody. I didn’t have the heart to tell him I hated it, so we stayed. Plus, got the job at the library which is exactly what I wanted to do, just not in Franklin... Then Lilly and Ted were born and I wanted them to have stability so we stayed still, and they grew up here and they loved it. So, when Ben passed away, I had to stay because they were here. They both got married, settled down here, and once again, I was trapped!

“Well, now, if you wanted, you could get yourself an apartment over the town line in Medway... they have that cute little apartment complex they just built...”

“Medway?? Who the heck would ever move to Medway on purpose! Medway? Pfffft!”

“So... tell me some more about why you hate Franklin...”
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2251199-Franklin