*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2251371-Superhuman-cop-In-loving-memories
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by flash
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Emotional · #2251371
My new home world has a memorial day of its own. Warning: Have tissues ready.
When I was young, my dad told me that we weren't going to be alive forever. I didn't take the news very well. My mom quickly comforted me by saying that we'll still be alive for a long time. "Long" being said about 6 or 7 times in that phrase.

I always thought we would be around forever, enjoying or enduring whatever the future has in store for us. My mom told me that in a way, it was true, but that I'd have to wait and see when my time comes.


Now, I didn't know anything about death at the time. Especially after my grandfather passed away. I completely denied it all and hoped that Gramps would wake up and return home surprising me. It was until a year later when my dad said what he did earlier. Leave it to dad to spit out the cold hard truth. Of course, it wasn't just humans who go through the same fate. Our beloved pets as well; a few cats and dogs, a hamster and even some fish have all passed before our very eyes. To say it was heartbreaking would be a huge understatement.

The reason dad brought it up was because on that day, it happened to be one of his favorite holidays: Memorial day. For those of you who don't fully understand what it is, Memorial day (formally known as decoration day) is a yearly event at the end of May where people who served in the military have died for their services and their loved ones mourn their losses while remembering the good times they've had with each other. My dad would know this because he served for us and made it back home safe, but some of his buddies weren't so lucky. One day, he took me to where they were buried and at the time, some friends and family members were also there, crying, reminiscing, reading words from the bible, all that. It was then I knew that I had to make the most of my time for the rest of my life. Back to the present...


I continued my new life in this big new world when I learned that the inhabitants had their own Memorial day, called "In loving memory day". A bit on the nose, sure but I got the gist of it which was that anyone who has a loved one who has passed away goes to the local cemetery and visits the graves of the ones whom they have lost. I knew right away that this was a special day for the prison I work for because, in a way, we were protecting and serving.

I was proven right when my boss Manny gave me an assignment to prepare a ceremony to remember those who have served and died, whether it happened on or off the clock. It wasn't too hard really. Using my strength, I had arranged and aligned chairs for all attendees to sit on, set up a podium in front of the bunch of gravestones and was even asked to say a few words. I wasn't sure how he expected me to do that last part since I didn't really know everyone on this earth, (if you can call it that) so instead, I asked if I could sing a song. I told him that I knew a good one that would actually fit with this service and he agreed to it.

Once everything was in order, Owen the owl said he would watch over the hard work we had done to make sure nothing happens it. I nodded to him and was about to call it a day when I noticed my friend/roommate Greta. I sprinted towards her and when I was close enough, I noticed something off about her. She looked depressed. In fact, the entire day, she was rather quiet. This wasn't like her at all. I called out to her and she turned giving me a sad smile. I asked her if she was OK and she just gave a quick "Mm-hm" before turning back to face something. Getting a closer look, it seemed as though she was looking at another gravestone, but this one was quite a distance away. After another minute of staring, Greta turned around and walked back, but not before saying to me, "Just let me know when you're finished so we can go home, ok?" I nodded to her. I was already done and wanted to tell her, but my curiosity was screaming at me. Obviously, there's something about that gravestone that's causing Greta's unusual behavior. I was about to take a closer look when I heard a voice. "I wouldn't go there if I were you." I jumped a bit and turned around to see Alexis standing right over me with a somewhat stern look on her face. I asked her how long she was behind me and she said, "Long enough." I asked her why I shouldn't go to where the gravestone was sitting. Here was her explanation:

"That spot right there is something very personal to Greta. You've probably guessed this but the resting place you just saw is where someone Greta knew and loved is resting right now. She didn't take it too well and had been depressed for a while. Every year at this time is when she is reminded of that day and sinks back in that same depression which takes a while for her to snap out of." After she finished, I was shedding tears. I couldn't believe what I had just heard. I then asked Alexis, "How long is she usually like that?" She answered back, "A few days or maybe a week." Seriously???

I had already seen Greta in a sad state and I didn't like it one bit, but the possibility of seeing her like that for a week, give or take? I had to do something. "Can't I just talk to her about it?" I said and Alexis said, "No! She's really private about it. Heck, she's never even told me a thing about it, but all I could do, as a favor to her is respect it. And I think it's best if you did the same. I honestly don't how she would react to you if you tried asking her yourself, but better safe than sorry." Speaking of sorry, that's exactly how I felt about Greta. I could at least try to cheer her up somehow. After all, she was the one who took me in her own home. I looked back at the gravestone and despite what Alexis had told me, my curiosity only persisted. I then heard Alexis sigh and turned back to her as she spoke again, "Look, if you really want to see for yourself, I won't stop you, but if anything regarding that stone slips out of you, well then don't say I didn't warn you." She finished and then flew off.

After she did, I looked back at the gravestone and before heading over, I looked back behind. No sign of Greta anywhere. I figured this would be my chance to take a quick peek and she would be none the wiser. Finally, I sprinted over, ready to put my curiosity to rest. When I was close enough, I read the gravestone and here's what it said:

"Here lies Gale. A real warrior. Rest in peace." That's it.

I was now hit with a new question: Who was Gale? Greta's old friend? Acquaintance? My thoughts were interrupted when I heard Greta's voice calling out to me. I turned and saw her looking for me. Thankfully, she didn't notice that I was here and quickly sprinted back to her without her noticing until I called out to her. She looked down and saw me. I told her that I had already finished my work and just needed some time to myself and understood. She then told me to hop on to her back and I did as she took off and headed home. While I was riding on her, I heard something and I turned to see that gravestone again. When I did however, I could've sworn that I saw something standing right next to it. It was blurry. Then, in the blink of an eye, it was gone. I chalked it up to an exhausting day and shook it off as Greta continued her flight home.


Later on that same evening, I watched as Greta still held that sad smile. I then asked again if she was alright, and again, she said she was. I wasn't buying it of course, but at the risk of losing a dear friend as well as a place to live, I let it go. Bedtime had arrived, the service was tomorrow and we needed as much sleep as possible so we would be ready. "Ready" being the keyword here. Greta went straight to sleep, while I couldn't help but think about who this "Gale" was. Of course just lying here would get me nowhere. All I could do was wait and hopefully the answer will come to me.


I fell asleep and was taken to dreamland.

In my dream, I was in the sky. I looked around and saw several clouds surrounding the area. Another thing that I noticed was that while I was in the heavens, at the same time, it felt like I was on the ground but there was none in plain sight. Then, I heard a voice. It sounded soft and motherly. I then looked straight ahead and saw a familiar sight. That blur I saw by that gravestone. Only this time, it was heading towards me. I prepared myself for battle, a little habit of mine if you would. But then, I heard the voice again, louder and clearer than before. "Do not fear." It said. I realized it was coming from the blur which was still closing in on me, not to mention it was bigger than it previously looked. Then the blur faded and revealed itself.


It was griffin! It wasn't Greta however, but I can still feel that calm and caring aura that Greta possessed. It was also female. She looked down at me with a smile, like she always wanted to meet me for some reason. She lowered a claw towards me and asked to hop on. I did and she brought it up to her face, still having that warm smile. The griffin spoke, "It's nice to meet you little one." I told her, "likewise" and then my name and asked who she is. I was not prepared for what she said next:

"My name is Gale, and I am Greta's grandmother."

I then thought back to that gravestone I read earlier after hearing that familiar name and it all clicked in my mind. My eyes shot wide open. "Wait!" I said, "As in Gale? A real warrior?!" She nodded in confirmation.

I was beyond shocked. This griffin that I had just met was actually the same one who's gravestone I had seen earlier. She was visiting me in my own dream. She spoke again, "I have been watching you since you met my Granddaughter just as I have watched over her. I really can't thank you enough for everything you've done for her as well as everyone else. I can see how well you two get along with each other, like a mother and son. Greta has been the happiest I've seen her in a while."

No wonder she had take a liking to me. I spoke, "Of course. But Greta hasn't been her usual self lately." Gale gave a sad smile and a sigh before answering, "Yes. She has been that way ever since I passed away. All I can tell you about my death was that it was for the greater good." I told her that I didn't want to see her like this and wanted to cheer her up somehow. She answered, "All you have to do is make her open up. It's going to be difficult but you are the best thing that has ever happened to her in a while. I doubt she would be mad at you. If you've ever had someone you know and love passed away, open up to her about it and she'll see she's not alone. And when you do talk to her, tell her that Gale loves her no matter what, to be strong and to keep living life. Just like I used to tell her when she was young."

I took in everything she said and nodded. Just then, the world around us was starting to fade, meaning I was about to wake up. Before I did, Gale said one last thing before becoming a blur again and fading away, "Thank you for looking out for my granddaughter." Then the dream ended.


I woke up and saw it was daytime outside. I looked around the huge bed and saw that Greta was no longer there. Instead, I saw her in her kitchen, drinking from her mug before starting the day. That's right! It was the day of the memorial service. We still had a little time before we had to head over there. I called out to her and she turned to me, again with that sad smile and then a simple wave of her claw. I then remembered the dream with Gale and decided it was now or never. I spoke up...

"So listen, I had a dream last night and actually met someone." Greta faced me again, this time with a curious look on her face as I continued, "She said she knows you and...is you're grandmother." Greta's eyes shot wide opened. She then reluctantly asked what she looked like. Looking back, I remembered well: She was big, had silver feathers, a few sticking on her head, black lion fur and tail and brown eyes and beak. I also told her that she says her death was for the greater good and also that she loves you and to be strong and keep living life. Greta was stunned. About ten seconds passed, then twenty, then a minute. Then...she finally spoke.

"That's her." She said in a broken voice. Next thing I knew, she broke down in tears, burying her face in her arms. I didn't know what to do at this point. It's not really every day that I've dealt with something like this. I then remembered another thing Gale told me. About opening myself up to her about my loved one who passed. I thought of my grandfather and that was the best example. After a good five minutes of crying, Greta raised her head to look at me and asked me if really did dream about her grandmother and I told her, "Actually, she came to me in my dream. She said she wanted to meet me and thank me for looking out for you, like you do for me." After telling her, I handed her tissues to wipe her tear stained face. After that, I told her about the time someone I know and love passed. I told her about my grandfather. How he showed his favorite shows, how to walk to places like a 7-eleven, our birthdays, our holidays together. Then he started going in and out of hospitals until one day, he never came back. I heard about one of the worst news of life. The very last time I saw him was when he was sleeping on a bed. I wanted him to wake up but it was futile. Then he was sealed away in his deathbed and sent underground to rest forever. As for my grandmother, well it was too late for me to meet her before her time had come.

After my story, now I was the one in tears. Greta handed me a tissue this time, and it was that moment that proved our bond is indeed strong. She then gently scooped up and brought me towards her feathery neck for a hug, humming to me softly. She then told me she was sorry for making me worry about her and to hide something so personal and tragic and I told her not to worry. Time was flying by as we stood there having a moment when we realized the ceremony was about to begin and we had to get going. I asked Greta if she was ok with going and she said she was now with a confident smile instead if a sad one. We were then out the door and off to the cemetery.


The service went well. Lot's of creatures were here as well as the friends I had made so far. Manny talked about his old buddies on the force and working with them before he became the chief. He even shed a tear or two himself. The others did the same; Alexis talking about her great uncle who used work here and even winning the "tough guard of the year" award. Owen talking about his grandfather who was known as "the creature that the crooks feared at night". I thought they were all amusing and that it sucked that I never got to meet them. Then came Greta's turn.

Now any creature that knows Greta would guess that Greta would decline to make a speech but instead she told everyone that she was in fact going to speak which caused a lot of gasping. She told everyone that she was inspired by someone near and dear to her while looking at me with a warm smile and then flying to the podium. Here's how her speech went:


"The reason I'm speaking right now is because I realized that I was not coping with my loss at all. But that's changing right now. My grandmother Gale. I'll never forget what she had done. She inspired me to become what she was. She taught me all she knew. We enjoyed each others time together. I just wished we had more. But she did what needed to be done and really, that's why we are here right now. Her last hours were involved in an epic battle involving one of the worst criminals in history. I watched her fight and fight until she came out victorious. But her injuries were grave and she told me that this was it for her. I tried saving her by taking her to a hospital where she was lying on her deathbed. The doctors said she was given little chance of making it. I wanted her to make it, to keep enjoying life with me. Eventually it wasn't looking good for her. She said her time was getting close and as much as I didn't want to believe it, she was right. It was time to let go. She had lived a great life thanks to me. We said our "good-byes" and "I love yous" and she closed her eyes one final time. And it was the very last time I saw her. She still lives on in memory because of her service, and I couldn't be more proud of her. Goodbye Grandma, I'll always love you and miss you. Thank you."

After hearing that speech, I was in tears again. Now I knew everything. Scattered applauses were sounding off and I joined in. Alexis then bent down to me and said, "I don't know what you did but nice job." I chuckled a bit as Greta flew to us. She spoke again, "Alright rookie, it's your show now." I sprinted to the podium, said some words, saying how I wish I could meet everyone that was mentioned today. I also told everyone how grateful I was to actually be part of the team and work with my two best friends/partners while gesturing to Greta and Alexis and in turn, Greta waved at me, while Alexis gave me a smirk and a thumbs up. Then, using magic I learned recently, I conducted the one song I thought would be most appropriate as well as one of my favorites: a song called "Brothers in arms". (Look it up and watch. You'll love it)

After my show, applause sounded off again. They actually enjoyed it. Afterwards it was time to cleanup. After another long day, it was time to go home. I hopped on to Greta and told her that her speech was beautiful and she said, " Thank you. I couldn't have done it without you." while giving me a quick nuzzle. I asked once again if she was ok, and this time she said, "I am now!" I was relieved. I sat on her back as she took off for home. Before that, we looked at the gravestone one last time and Greta continued flying off. Before I looked away however, I saw that blur again, only this time, it revealed itself to be Gale. She gave me a warm smile and a wave and said, "Thank you". I couldn't hear it but I knew that was exactly what she said. I gave a nod and waved back to her and she was gone once again.

This day alone taught a lot of things. All I can say is, live life while you can, share it with others, and most importantly, never forget the ones who have passed. That's what I planned to do. I was still pretty young so I had plenty of time. I will make the most of it..for myself and for my friends.




Happy memorial day.
© Copyright 2021 flash (flashfan2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2251371-Superhuman-cop-In-loving-memories