*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2259055-The-nymphs-guardian
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by flash
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fanfiction · #2259055
A bitter lone boy becomes something even he thought impossible.
So first, some background before I explain my new life that I inadvertently got into. My name is Cody. I won't give my full name or where I'm from. It's not important. I was not even a teenager yet and already I was viewed to be a delinquent. A troublemaker. That's not entirely true however. Every side has a story after all.

My childhood wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. That was until I grew older and some things happened. It started with my parents fighting. It escalated pretty quickly and they separated in the process. I've had my share of fights myself, mostly with my so called "Father". Others started in school. I was a victim since day one and eventually I snapped and started fighting back. While I was proud of myself for fighting back, I ended up getting the penalty because some lazy adults saw me as the one starting the fights.

The fights however were nothing compared to what I had received from my parents. My mom scolded and grounded me and her adult friends made me do physical labor as a way to get me to think about what I have done.

For a while this continued, and it was pushing me to the edge. I became angry constantly, giving everyone glares as I passed by. Banging on walls. Breaking stuff without hesitation. This lead to people, including adults to be afraid of me. I didn't care really. All I could think about was putting people in their places. I truly felt like everyone was against me. I'll admit I've started fights myself. Despite this, I still asserted myself that I was in the right and that it was everyone else's fault for not helping, that they were too lazy or spineless, yet the scolding and punishments kept coming.

The fights then started at home. While my mom was very supportive, she told that I needed to stop and change my ways. She asked me what would happen if she was someone at school afraid of a student and I pretty much just shrugged it off telling her, "But you aren't, are you?!" This upset her, making her feel like a failure as a mother. My father was worse. One day he got into my face telling me to knock it off and be a man or else. I retorted, "Says the guy who ran from his own family!" This lead to another fight and it was physical. Afterwards, I secretly called the police and reported assault. They arrived and showed them my scratches and bruises and told them my father did all this. He was arrested and I never saw him again. Frankly, I was proud of that moment. My mom however was not. I wasn't surprised. After more nagging, I simply glared at her and told her that Dad brought this on himself. She cried again but I didn't pay her any mind.

Summer was near and soon I would be free from my school's constant torment. I ran out and back home feeling happy for the first time in...who knows how long. But it didn't last. When I got home, I was ready to relax after an unsurprisingly stressful school year when my mom and her friends were sitting in the living room all looking at me with concerned looks on their faces. They told me to sit in an opened seat and I did. Mom started telling me that my behavior was getting out of control and everyone agreed. I simply rolled my eyes and brushed it off. Then one of them spoke up and told me that I was going to an anger management camp for the whole summer. I couldn't believe my ears! Here I was, getting some happiness in my life and it was already taken away again. I defended myself again but they didn't listen and instead told me that I needed to improve myself or I would be in prison one day. Before any more words were said I rushed to my bedroom, slamming the door wanting to be alone.

Nighttime came and I was still wallowing in self pity. "How could they do this to me? I just wanted to stop getting harassed!" I thought to myself. A knock sounded, it was mom checking on me and telling me how sorry she was and that she wanted me to get better. I didn't say anything and she just let me know that I'll be going away soon before closing the door. I couldn't let this happen. This was the final straw for me. I decided to pack up my prized possessions and wait for my chance.

When it was bedtime, I made my move. I carried all I could and snuck out, but not before leaving a note for my mom to find saying that I was sorry for everything, that it's not her fault, that I love her and not to find me because it's better this way. I walked out of my "home" and never looked back.

After traveling far away, the sun was rising and I found myself in the middle of a beautiful meadow. It was quite a sight even for me. I was starting to get exhausted. Although I didn't want too, I decided to rely on the kindness of strangers to let me rest for a while. I then noticed a number of cabins out in the wild. I walked up to one and knocked on the door. Answering my knock was an elderly couple. They seemed immediately happy to meet me. Like they were expecting me. I asked if I could stay for awhile. I was shocked about what they said next.

"You want this cabin young fella?" I was dumbfounded by that phrase. I asked what they meant. The man, his name was Barry, and her wife is Madison. They explained that they were looking for someone responsible enough to take the cabin off their hands. I asked why and they explained that they were both diagnosed with cancer and their time was running out. I couldn't help but feel bad for them. I told them I would take this place, much to their relief. They then asked where my family is, a question that stung me. Reluctantly, I told them everything and they actually felt bad for me. I then asked how much they want for the cabin and they said I can just take it. I was stunned. I didn't think anyone would be that generous. I guess my story really won them over. Before I became the official owner, I had to prove I was responsible. After some much needed rest, I worked hard, keeping the place clean, cooking my food safely and even got a nice job (I'll get to that in a minute) After all that, the couple was convinced that I would do just fine. After some paperwork, I was officially the new owner. The couple packed their most prized possessions while leaving some stuff here in case I had company and left for parts unknown while wishing me the best and I told them, "Thanks for everything."

It's been a few months and I've been living peacefully. As for how I support myself, I had managed to get a job freelancing for a magazine company. I was pretty good at writing and I figured I could use my talent to my advantage. It was simple and they paid handsomely. And that was just the first job. After that I shopped around town for stuff such as food, cleaning supplies and some stuff to kill time like videogames and comics. The town nearby was a sleepy one. In fact, to say there's not a lot going on would be an understatement. It still worked hard for it's community though.

Now I get to why I'm really writing this. It was a crisp cool autumn afternoon. The temperature was returning to normal after the intense heat we had recently. Don't get me wrong, I like Summer but I can only take so much. Anyway, I was in the middle of my next assignment. Even though it wasn't due for weeks, I figured there was no harm in getting a headstart. I was traveling around the meadow and was a little far from home. Suddenly it started raining, despite there not being that many clouds in the sky. I foolishly didn't bring an umbrella and sought shelter under a tree next to a hill. The rain was falling harder, leaving me no choice to wait it out. I leaned towards the rocky wall of the hill when I noticed something odd. It appeared to be a small opening. In front was a large rock. I pushed with all my strength until it rolled out of the way revealing a cave. I then rushed in for shelter. The cave was dark but I did bring a flashlight to look around and wait out the storm. After a minute of searching, it seemed to be the only room in this cave. Then, I saw something I didn't expect. Hanging on the walls were portraits. There were 5 of them in total. Upon closer inspection, they each showed a woman. What was interesting was they each had on different attire. The looks on their faces, however, were the same. Their eyes were closed, and their heads looked to be bent down a little. To me, it looked like they were sleeping, but at the same time, they were floating in mid air. I thought to myself, "Man, someone must be quite the artist!" I then turned my attention to something new. There was a blue light glowing at the end of the cave. Something I somehow didn't notice before. I walked closer and saw the light was coming from what appeared to be a spear! That kind of weapon that hunters use. This one was different. It was golden instead of wooden and the tip was more than just a tip, not to mention that's where the blue light was glowing.

I was both fascinated and filled with questions. Like, "Where did these things come from? How long have they been down here? Who put them down here and why?" I figured this would be something to show for my project, so I took some photos and wrote some notes. I was about to leave but something was telling me to take the spear with me. Maybe I could use this for self defense like in those movies. So I grabbed it, but I wasn't prepared for what happened next. After I pulled the spear out, lightning was being released and I ended up absorbing it like a rod. I then released the lighting and it went zapping the portraits behind me. Afterwards, I felt exhausted and dropped onto the ground moaning. I then heard another noise but I was too tired to turn around. All I could do was hope that it would end. It quickly did so as I continued panting. Then I heard another noise. It sounded like wings fluttering, but I didn't pay it no mind. It was the very next sound that I didn't expect. It was a voice. A woman's voice! She said:

"Sisters! Can it be?!"
Another voice sounded, "We're free!"
Another voice simply said, "YAY!"
The next voice said, "Hey. I think that's our savior!"

My eyes shot wide opened. I knew they were talking about me.
I thought about playing dead in hopes that they would leave...they did not. In fact, judging by the fluttering sounds getting louder, I could tell they were getting closer. I didn't know what to do. I felt myself shaking a little. Then, I felt a hand on me, shaking me a little, before someone spoke, "Hello? Are you OK?"

I remembered the spear which was still in my hand. As rash as it sounds, I thought about scaring whoever was behind me away so I could escape. Immediately, I summoned what little strength I had left, and turned around, crawling backwards until my back hit the walls and pointed the spear shouting, "GET AWAY FROM ME!!!"

When I got a clear look at the faces, I was even more shocked. It was the women! The exact same ones shown in the portraits! Only this time, they were floating right in front of me. Their faces were a mix of shock and fear. Despite this, they weren't leaving. In fact, one of them floated closer too me. Her expression was now one of concern. Looking at her actually made me calm down a little but I still held the spear just in case she pulled something. I got a look at her attire and found it pretty interesting. She wore a green bikini and matching skirt along with a witches hat and socks or stockings ( I don't know the difference.) She also had jewelry on her. It was hardly noticeable but I did see her golden earrings and necklace and bangles on both arms. She also had long raspberry red hair. She was rather busty too. I was entranced by her looks until I noticed her closer to me than usual. I was shaking again until she brought a hand to my cheek, shushing me and saying to me in a soft voice, "Do not fear us, young one. I promise we are harmless.

Now I'm not a trusting kind of guy, but she somehow convinced me that she was friendly. I then noticed the other ladies, whom I'm guessing are her sisters floating closer. Their attire was interesting as well. One of them seemed to have the appearance an Indian woman.

She had long dark blue hair. Her skin was dark. She was wearing a light blue bikini top and matching skirt, a skull on her head with feathers sticking out and bandages on her wrists and ankles. Her legs had something painted on them. She's also barefoot.

The next woman was...larger and bustier than the rest, though I tried not too shout it out for fear that she would be offended. Her skin was like chocolate. Her bikini and skirt were red. Her hair was blonde and long. In fact so long that you could mistake it for Rapunzel's hair. She was also wearing what appeared to be a hallowed out lizard of some kind on her head. She was also barefoot.

Next was looking like she just went out for a swim. She had long blue hair kinda like the Indian nymph. Also wearing a blue skirt but instead of a bikini, she had clamshells on her bosoms. She also had long sleeved gloves that looked scaly. Her head had a skull, only it was different from the Indian woman's. She wore socks or stockings too but with a skeleton fish sticking out.

The last one looked like she was all dressed up for winter. In fact, instead of a bikini and skirt, she wore a blue fur coat and matching hat with pieces of wool on her ankles and legs. Her hair was blonde but also the shortest. She was barefoot as well.

The biggest surprise about them was what was on their backs. The ones that were making the fluttering sound. They were wings! They reminded me of the creatures from fantasy stories. I then realized what they were. My eyes shot open and I exclaimed, "You're all nymphs!"

They were taken aback by my reaction. The nymph in green responded, "You know about us?" I tried to find the right words to say, "Uhh, not you all per se. It's just something I read about in fantasy stories." We were all silent for awhile before the one in green spoke again, "I see. Well then I think some introductions are in order. I'm Betilla the leader and eldest of the nymphs and these are my sisters." While motioning to the other nymphs behind her. One by one, they introduced themselves.
"I'm Holly Luya, the music nymph." Her voice a southern feel to it.

"I'm Edith Up, the gourmet nymph." Her voice was a little high pitched

"I'm Annetta Fish, the ocean nymph." Her voice sounded a little posh.

"And I'm Helena Handbasket, the mountain nymph." She had a Swedish accent.

It was my turn, "I'm Cody." I said a little bashfully.

Betilla floated back to her sisters and each gave me a smile of gratitude, "Well Cody. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for freeing us." She said as they each bowed their heads respectfully.

I was puzzled at this point, "Freeing you?" I then remembered the portraits from earlier and looked back at them. When I did, they were gone! I honestly felt like I was dreaming somehow, even though I wasn't asleep at all. I then looked at the spear still in my grasp and held it up. It was still glowing blue but also was buzzing with electricity. Did this actually save them? Betilla spoke again, "Yes. The spear you hold is the same one that imprisoned us for eternity, until you managed to find it and pull it out. For this, we are forever grateful." She finished while my gaze was still on the spear until she surprised me with a kiss on the cheek, like a princess who was saved by her hero. My face warmed up but shook it off and said, "Uh. Of course, but aren't you all the least bit surprised that a kid like me saved you?"

Betilla answered, "Admittedly, yes, but it's better than no one." Fair enough.

I was now met with more questions than usual. I was about to ask when a new noise sounded of and it was LOUD!
Edith then spoke up, "Oh! Forgive us, Cody. Being imprisoned for a long time made us all very hungry. Do you have anything for us to eat?" The other nymphs nodded in agreement. After what they've been through, I thought it would be the right thing to do. I agreed to the request, "Ok. I'll take you back home and make something nice and hot for you." I said as I lead them outside, taking the spear and my other belongings with me. When I got outside, I saw that the rainstorm had stopped and was replaced with cloudy but also sunny skies. There was even a double rainbow. I always enjoyed those things with a smile. I was then snapped out of it by Holly speaking, "Wow! This land is different but pretty." I understood where they were coming from. I then spoke up, "Ok so my home is...somewhere. Agh! That rainstorm caught me off guard and now I've lost track!" I then felt a hand from Annetta and Helena.

"Here Cody. We'll help you get back home." Helena offered. "Really?" I said. "Of course, darling. It's the least we can do." Annetta added. I was shocked by their kindness. I know I freed them and offered a nice hot meal but still. In no time, I was lifted up into the air. I was amazed by the view and wanted to take it all in. The other nymphs followed suit. I gestured them to the double rainbow and they were in awe. I then looked down towards the cabins in the meadow until I saw mine and pointed to it. "There it is!" I said. The nymphs looked down and we all descended from the sky. We all landed right in front the cabin. I proceeded to the front door, unlocking and opening it, letting the ladies in first. I walked in afterwards. They were quite taken with the place. "Oh! This is nice!" Betilla said.

The cabin wasn't a lot really. It was a two story building that consisted of living room, kitchen, a few bedrooms and baths. Other stuff sitting around was a TV. A few game systems such as a Wii and PlayStation. A bookshelf filled with mostly Garfield books and mystery novels. Some music players. While the nymphs were looking around, I thought about what to make for dinner. I remembered something. Its Friday! Usually that means pizza! Thankfully the fridge and freezer were huge and I was able to stock up on stuff. I took out a couple of supreme pizzas and tossed them both in the pizza oven. Afterwards, the nymphs finished touring around the cabin.

"So what do you think?" I asked. "It's beautiful. Just like our home." Helena answered with the nymphs agreeing. Holly then asked, "Who else lives here, Cody?" I simply said, "It's just me." Annetta then asked the inevitable question: "What about your family?" I immediately frowned, bringing my head down. I really didn't want to answer that question, but they seemed really determined to know the truth. So I had no choice and with a deep breath, I told them exactly what I said in the beginning. It was painful, but I managed to open up to them about everything. Once I finished, the nymphs were both disheartened and teary eyed. I honestly didn't blame them. They never heard something like this. They then embraced me saying, "You poor little thing." Their hugs were warm and loving, not to mention their bosoms were close to my face. I was a mix of emotions. I hugged back but briefly as I needed to check on the pizzas. They were almost done so I decided to throw in some mozzarella sticks because why not? I told the nymphs that pizza was almost ready and that perked them right back up. They then quickly gathered around the dining table waiting eagerly. I chuckled to myself. Pizza does have that charm on others. I pulled out everything from the oven. The pizza was baked and golden brown and the sticks were oozing a bit of cheese but I don't think they'll mind. While the food was cooling off, I got out cups for drinks which was Dr. Pepper. I brought them each a glass while serving them each a pizza and sticks. They were drooling in hunger, especially Edith who was also squealing in delight. After giving them each a plate, I said, "Hope you enjoy it." and watched them take their first bite...

Their faces were beaming, their moans of satisfaction sounded off, their compliments were thrown at me.

Annetta: "This is delicious!"

Helena: "You baked this so well, Cody!"

Betilla: "I love everything on this pizza!"

Holly: "These cheesy sticks make this meal even better!"

Edith: "I would eat this everyday! Of course, I say that about a lot of food."

I chuckled at their words and starting digging in myself. Of course after the first plate, they asked for seconds. Good thing I thought ahead and made a second pizza. A pizza party to remember!

Afterwards, they lounged around, rubbing their full bellies while I cleaned up and saw that it was almost 9:00. Normally people would start turning in at that time. Not me though. Being a freelancer has it's advantages. The nymphs asked about my possessions around the cabin.

There were questions such as, "What is a "PlayStation"? or " Who are "Garfield" and "The Hardy Boys"? and even what "Star Wars" are about. I found their curiosity a tad adorable. I explained and while they didn't quite understand everything, I knew they weren't used to today's technology and entertainment. So as a demonstration, I popped in "Star Wars: A new hope" because they would be surprised and entertained by everything. Also because...well, it's Star wars! I promised them this was one of the best movies ever; action, adventure, dramedy, and a number of heartwarming moments.

As the movie progressed, they were both astounded and at the edge of their seats, wondering what would happen next. Some parts were brutal, sure, but I guess they've seen worse.

Watching that movie was a real time passer. I saw that it was almost midnight and everyone was tired. The cabin had 2 bedrooms both on the second floor. I had already decorated my own room, so I showed the other bedroom that Barry and Madison used too have. I don't go in there very often, but when I do, I see their large round bed. Big enough for more than two people. There's also a closet, a smaller sofa, an old fashioned TV and a window that shows the sun when it shines.

Betilla then called to me, "Hey Cody? I've been meaning to ask you, who are these people?" She showed a picture of the aforementioned elderly couple and I answered, "Those are the former owners of this cabin. The man's name is Barry and the woman's is Madison. They were the nice people who gave me this home." "Just like that?" Helena spoke up. I answered with a sigh, "Yeah. As it turned out, they both were diagnosed with cancer recently and their time was running out. I don't know if they're still around, but the least I could do was take good care of their old home. Also they weren't the first people to live here. This cabin actually has quite a history." They nodded in understanding.

After getting comfy and cozy, I wished them a good night and they did the same. Even though it was midnight, I wasn't really tired yet. I'm sort of a night owl, so I decided to have myself a little videogame marathon, but also being careful not to make noises.

After almost 3 hours of playing as well getting the hang of that boxing game "Punch out", I finally decided to call it a night. I brushed my teeth and went to my room. When I did, I was surprised to find someone in my bed! No. Wait. 2 someone's? Slowly emerging from under the blankets were Betilla and Annetta with sleepy eyes.

"Cody?" Betilla said with yawn while Annetta rubbed her eyes. "Oh. Hey. I didn't know you two were in here." I apologized. "This is your room?" Annetta said sleepily. I nodded. I guess there was too much room taken up in the other bedroom.

Betilla then opened the blanket and said, "Here Cody. Come and join us." I was stunned. They were actually ok with me sleeping with them?! I went closer to the bed and when I did, Betilla stood up, motioning for me to crawl in the middle. This was actually happening! Me, sharing a bed with two beautiful ladies! When I was in, Betilla got back in bed and both her and Annetta wrapped their arms around me and said one last thing before dozing off again,

"Thank you for everything, Cody." Betilla said. "You're our hero, Darling." Annetta added before both gave me a kiss on the cheek simultaneously. My face burned up a bit.

This had been quite a day. A life changing moment. I now had 5 lovely ladies living with me now. I still had questions about what happened to them before, but I guess I'll know in time. For now, all I could do was enjoy this. I started nodding off and before falling asleep, I smiled and shed some tears because of how kind, caring and comforting they all were to me. Like the family anyone could ask for. Like the mother figures, I needed. Like the one thing I needed to feel what I haven't felt in a while...

I became happy again!


Authors note: The nymphs are from the Rayman series. I do not own the characters featured from the series.
© Copyright 2021 flash (flashfan2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2259055-The-nymphs-guardian