*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2252327-CA-ZOM-21------WC-516
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Drama · #2252327
The Writer's Cramp 6/12/21


CA ZOM 21

Zoe started acting strange, right about midday. I attributed it to the new dog food, some new kibble we got delivered.

She drooled, more than usual. Then the seizures, the running in circles, then finally she just lay down. Tongue to the side, the tail raised up one time, the eyes rolled back, and just like that she was gone. Dead. Here one moment and gone the next.

George called the vet. I wrapped pup in a blanket. The kids stood back, crying and taking pictures to post for gram.

Suddenly Zoe jumped up, teeth bared. The blanket fell to the floor. She howled, a sound like nothing I’d ever heard before. She lunged for George, biting him on the leg.

George screamed, dropped the phone. Zoe took him to the floor. That dog wouldn’t let go. She gnawed on his leg as if it was a beef bone.

I grabbed the kids, we ran to the kitchen, locking the door behind us. Outside I could hear other dogs howling. Suddenly at the back door there was scratching, whining.

I looked out the window. A pack of dogs gathered at the door, trying to get in the house. They saw me, then jumped on the porch chairs. They started scratching at the windows, trying desperately to get in the house.

Zoe and George were still fighting in the living room. I could hear George’s screams, now growing fainter with each minute that passed.

“What’s going on mom?” cried the kids.

I honestly didn’t know. “Be quiet. No talking.”

We all huddled in the laundry room. Howls and scratching continued outside, then inside as somehow Zoe found her way to us.

I grabbed Molly’s phone. We searched CNN. Seems zombie dogs were trending on the news at the moment.

Our eyes widened in the darkened room. Zombie dogs? What in the world…
I hurriedly typed a message to my mother.
in house, Zoe on the hunt, safe in laundry 4 now, *HeartBroken*

I sent the message, along with the video the kids recorded. We said a quiet prayer. Then I motioned to the kids. No more sound.

The night stretched before us. We worried in the dark. Noises around us faded then stopped. Could the terror be over?

My children slept beside me. I prayed, at times checked the phone for updates. When the clock indicated night was over, we opened the door a crack, armed with bleach and a full detergent bottle.

Zoe laid beside the door. She appeared dead, at last? George lay on the floor beside her, dead as well. There were no sounds outside. A quick glance showed dogs dead on the patio as well.

World news spoke of a mysterious canine virus. While affecting all dogs for a night, those zombie dogs quickly perished, never more to live. Their victims would also remain dead.

Years later we still don’t know what happened that night. Scientists have tried to find the reason for the virus outbreak. They pray it one day doesn’t jump from animal to man.


W/C 516







© Copyright 2021 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2252327-CA-ZOM-21------WC-516