*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2252791-Lunch
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2252791
Flash Fiction
Lunch

“This is perfect!” Ted said, looking at the clearing after three miles of hiking. It overlooked the whole valley. “Let’s stop here for lunch!”

Sandy looked around but didn’t say anything.

“It’s not too early,” Ted when on, thinking she might be thinking that, "We still need to find firewood and start a fire. That takes time. It’ll be lovely sitting here, eating, looking over the valley, look you can even see the river!”

Sandy still didn’t say anything.

“Sandy, what’s up? You haven’t said a word since we got here.”

“I don’t know,” she said a bit quietly. There’s something wrong, something is nagging at me. I don’t like it here.”

“How can you say that, we’ve literally never been here before.”

“I know, well I don’t know. I don’t know what it is, Something’s not right. I don’t like it here, we have to leave. We need to leave right now.”

Thinking his wife might be tired, Ted just went along with it. “OK, we’ll find another spot.”

“No we need to go back to the car. We need to leave.”

Now Ted was really worried. “Ok Honey, we’ll go,” but before they could even start, Sandy fainted. Ted dropped everything and picked her up, rushing the three miles to the car. Once there he beelined for the hospital emergency room.

She came to shortly after they got there. Unfortunately, she couldn’t remember anything about what happened, or what she was feeling, or even the hike at all after they started up the mountain.

Back on the mountain Bleo and Gront finished eating all Ted and Sandy’s food, and even some non-food items.

“That was great! Let’s go explore more of earth!” Gront said, burping. “I heard they have cool stuff called ‘fishermen’ near the ocean!”
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2252791-Lunch