*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2254225-That-Day-at-Foxleys
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2254225
Flash Fiction
That Day at Foxley’s

“Excuse me, Sir, could you move over there a bit.”

Gerald turned at the words and saw a young woman staring at him. “Were you speaking to me?” he asked in a clearly distant voice.

Unruffled, she continued, “Yes, you. You are standing in the way of many people who need to get from this area to that area. You just need to move over a bit.”

“Do you know who I am?” he asked in his snottiest, polite voice.

“Yes,” she said, “You are the person causing this people traffic jam in the store.”

Gerald frowned and stepped back toward the wall allowing the traffic to move more freely. He was not used to people talking to him in this manner. He turned back toward the woman, intending to give her a piece of his mind, but she was gone.

When he got back to his office, his father was there. “Gerald. Now that you’re ready to take on more responsibility at the store, I’ve decided to put you on hiring. We don’t have a big turnover but we do need to hire new people on occasion. You’ve worked all the jobs so you know what we need in general, I think you’ll be good at it.”

“Are you sure Father? I’ve never hired anyone before.”

“You start today! We need a new monitor, someone who can learn all the floor needs and keep things flowing as the day progresses. Someone with a sharp mind, and a good personality. We have an applicant here now. Will you try it?”

“I guess so, I hope I do it right.”

Harold walked into the room, there sat that woman.

“You’re hired,” he said.

They married three years later, and ran the store together for the next fifty two years.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2254225-That-Day-at-Foxleys