*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2254285-The-Purple-Dress
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2254285
Flash Fiction
The Purple Dress

Jack walked into the bedroom where Angela was getting ready for the Wilson’s party.

Jack was not looking forward to it. Harold Wilson, his new boss, didn’t seem to like him. In the two months since he’d taken over, he hadn’t so much as spoken to him beyond work issues. Plus, since they had different methods of working, he always seemed skeptical of Jack’s work right up until it was finished. Then seemed to grudgingly give him credit because it worked out well.

Angela looked up, “How does this look? Tell me the truth. It’s new.”

Jack looked at the dress she was wearing and tried hard not to let his face express anything. It was horrible! Very ruffled, something Angela never wore normally. On top of that purple! She had literally never worn purple in all the time he’d known her. Plus, he couldn’t even begin to understand the straps.

All his worry about Harold Wilson blew right out of his head as he looked at Angela in that dress. She obviously liked it, and thought it looked good, he could tell by the look on her face.

OK, his mind raced to marriage 101. Always be honest with your spouse. Honest. He honestly wanted her to be happy, he honestly felt she loved that dress and how it looked on her, he honestly knew he knew nothing about fashion. “I love it!” he said.

Angela’s face lit up immediately, and off they went.

Well, Angela felt so confident at the party, she was extremely charming, and Harold Wilson and his wife invited them to dinner the next week!

Unfortunately Harold Wilson also got fired three months later for embezzling, but a lesson was learned here. Always be yourself, and let everyone else be their self too, or something...
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2254285-The-Purple-Dress