*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2261728-That-Saturday
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2261728
Flash Fiction
That Saturday

As Frank walked up the hall he could hear banging and commotion in his son Alex’s room, and Alex muttering to himself, “I can’t find it.”

Stopping at the door he glanced in, the room was a mess. “What’s going on here? What are you looking for?”

Alex stopped mid-handful of stuff, looking like a deer caught in the headlights. “Ah, I was looking for something...”

“I can see that. What are you looking for? Can I help you?”

Alex turned a bit red, “Ah, my notebook for school! I need it to study!”

“How could it have gotten in your closet?”

“Ah...”

“Never mind, maybe you left it in the den, you usually drop your school stuff in there.”

Looking relieved, Alex said, “You’re right! I bet that’s where it is!”

It was. However, a short while later when Frank passed door again, the door was closed and he could hear furniture being moved.

Opening the door to a bigger mess, and a now frantic, deer in the headlights look from his son, Frank said, “Out with it.”

“Ah, what?”

“What are you really looking for.”

“Mom will kill me!’

“I will accept the fact that you are more afraid of your mother’s reaction than mine, and help you. What are you looking for.”

“A snake.”

“You brought a snake into the house?”

Just a small one, just while I was looking for a box...”

Suddenly there was a loud scream in the kitchen.

Dad turned calmly to Alex and said, “I need help cleaning the garage out today.”

“Done!” said Alex.

“I have to go catch a snake in the kitchen and put it outside right now. I’ll see you in about a half hour in the garage?”

“Yes!”

The father/son bond was sealed forever that very Saturday.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2261728-That-Saturday