*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2261791-Neverland
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2261791
Flash Fiction
Neverland

“Hand me that will you?” six year old Ted said, as Dad walked in.

Dad handed him the bag of rocks.

Ted stuffed it into his backpack, which seemed already stuffed. Then began looking for something else.

“What’cha looking for?” Dad asked.

“My compass. I can’t go without my compass.”

“Oh,” Dad said, “Where are you going?”

Ted looked a little uncomfortable, “I was going to ask you guys first, but I wanted to be sure I was ready.

“Us guys?”

“You and Mom, of course. I wouldn’t go without asking permission first.”

“Of course. Where is it you’re planning to go? Or do I need to wait for Mom?”

“I guess I can tell you ahead. You were a boy once.”

“Yes, I think I was.” Dad said, trying not to smile.

“I’m going to Neverland.”

“I see. Do you know how to get there?”

“Of course! Everybody knows. Second star to the right and straight on till morning.”

“Yes, I guess I know that. Um, how do you get to that second star to the right? I never could figure that part out.”

“Oh that’s easy! The Millbury’s have stars on their fence! The second star to the right is at the corner of King Street!”

Suddenly Dad felt a little in over his head. “Well,” he said finally, “I do believe you have something there, but you know, Mom’s making chocolate cake tomorrow, as a surprise for you. I wasn’t supposed to tell, but I don’t want you to miss it. Maybe you could go to Neverland next week instead?”

“Oh, yes! That would be OK!” Ted started unpacking his backpack.

Dad went to talk to Mom about Ted, and the cake, and so many things he was not prepared to handle on his own yet.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2261791-Neverland