*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2261869-Wonders-Never-Cease
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2261869
Flash Fiction
Wonders Never Cease

Sandra was sitting on the bench waiting for the bus when the man sat down. She didn’t bother looking, but she could see that he was looking at her.

Finally he spoke, “Do I know you from somewhere?”

She looked over. She knew instantly she had never known him. “I’m not sure...” she answered politely, wanting to see where this was going.

“I just seem to feel like we’ve met before. Are you from around here?” he moved a bit closer.

Not a helpful clue, but she’d play along, “No, but nearby. I live over in Bennington.”

“Oh! Yes, I spent some time in Bennington when I was a child! Maybe we met then?”

“No, I didn’t move there until I was in my forties actually.” Sandra was determined to make him work.

“Ah, so not that. Did you work around here?”

“I did work at Christies one year for a while in my thirties.”

“Perhaps that was it.”

“Yes, well, you must have a very good memory. What brings you here now?”

“Oh just visiting an old friend, and you looked so familiar.”

“You must have a very good eye for faces my friend! Well, there’s my bus, are you taking it too?”

“No, I’m waiting for my friend.” Sandra was not surprised. She gathered her things, the way an elderly woman would, and boarded the bus.

Once settled in her seat, she looked back as it pulled away. He had the wallet from her purse, but it was empty. She never kept anything in it. She had his too however, which was full! She would switch busses at the next stop, and skedaddle home with her loot! Not to Bennington... by the way. And here she was about to give up on this day altogether! Wonders never cease.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2261869-Wonders-Never-Cease