*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263289-Park-Walk
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2263289
Flash Fiction
Park Walk

I was walking along in the park, as I often do, but in a different section than usual because they were doing some kind of work in my normal section and had it blocked off. I should have been happy, they only ever improve things, but still, creature of habit, I hate changes so I was irritated.

As I walked along, there was a thick woodsy, viney place on one side of the path and the other was open to a grassy area. I assumed I was near the edge of the park, though I’d never walked over there before. I actually got a little nervous because I walk so early in the morning, and it was such a new area. I wasn’t sure what to expect.

My imagination of course got the better of me. Suddenly I thought I felt eyes watching me from the trees. Somebody hiding in a tree watching the little old lady all by herself, easy prey, walking along the path alone. I began scanning the trees as I walked faster.

Suddenly I saw them. Eyes! A head! A dog? A dog in a tree? I froze! Then I squinted. A dog in a tree? I may be old but I don’t think I’m that dotty yet. But there it was. A dog looking at me through the tree.

So I walked over. It actually was a dog! Not exactly in the tree. The tree was next a stone wall that was covered in vines, at the top of it was a fence which apparently marked the edge of the park, and the edge of the property next door. Once I understood what I was seeing, I laughed, and said, “Good dog!” The dog wagged his tail, and off I went.

It made my day.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263289-Park-Walk