*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263582-Not-Ghosts
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2263582
Flash Fiction
Not Ghosts

“Do you believe in ghosts?” Sandy asked Ted.

“No, why?”

“I had a strange glow in my room today and I’m trying to figure out if it’s a ghost.”

“Funny.”

“Bye Ted,” Sandy walked away.

“You’re a ding bat!” Ted yelled after her.

From the corner Zane watched. He’d followed Sandy trying to figure out if she knew he had landed in her room. Obviously she did, but she didn’t know who he was. She was thinking about ghosts. Funny. He hadn’t even known about the idea of ghosts before he landed on earth. He was just looking for a place to hide until his ship came back to pick him up.

He was jolted from these thoughts by a voice, “I do believe in ghosts, but I don’t think you’re a ghost.” There was Sandy, looking right in his direction.

“Can you me see?” he said in the matching earth language.

“It’s ‘see me’ and no, but I can feel your presence. Are you a ghost?”

“No.”

“Then what are you? Should I be afraid?”

“I don’t think so. I am from another galaxy. I’m waiting to be picked up. I just need a place to stay for a while.”

“You can stay with me,” Sandy said, “I do believe in aliens, and ghosts and lots of things.”

“What’s a ghost?” asked Zane, shimmering into a warm spot in the air

Fifty years later he was still waiting. It seems time on his planet was thought about in a very different, and very relaxed manner. Everyone thought Sandy was a bit strange but they loved working with her. She was always delightful and happy, and amazingly smart. Though, she did always seemed to be a tad overheated, and she talked to herself a lot.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263582-Not-Ghosts