*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2264074-Thank-You
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2264074
Flash Fiction
Thank you

“I came to pick up that trunk,” Ken said, standing at the door.

Sharon invited him in, but she was having issues. “I think I’ve changed my mind again.”

“Sharon, what’s the problem? It’s old and useless, it takes up room you sorely need in this miniscule apartment. Yet every time you realize this, at the last minute you change your mind. I don’t get it.”

“It was Gramma’s.”

“It isn’t even nice. It’s stained and dented. You can’t keep anything you use in it because you have to tip it over just to open it. It’s worthless to you. It just takes up space, and looks ugly!”

“I know. But it was important enough to Gramma to leave to me, and Gramma was important enough to me to keep it. I can’t just let it go. I’m sorry I called you over again. One day I’ll get a bigger apartment, and then I’ll make a special place for it. Then it’ll be a way for me to remember Gram instead of a space hogging eyesore.”

“Ok. I give up.”

“Before you go will you help me tip it over? I’ll store my summer clothes in so I’ll have more room in my closet. At least it can serve some purpose.”

Later, as Sharon was packing away her summer stuff in the trunk, she tried to open a small drawer thinking it could hold her summer jewelry. It had been stuck shut since she got the trunk, but now that she was determined to keep it, she was also determined to get that drawer open and make it useful.

The stock certificates in the drawer were worth a whole lot more than Sharon needed for a new, quite luxurious apartment, and a pretty sweet life as well.

Thank you Gramma.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2264074-Thank-You