*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2264634-The-Reluctant-Dragon-and-Nelly-Burning
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #2264634
the Reluctant Dragon stumbles upon the kingdom of Quaintinia,
One happy, sunny morning, the Reluctant Dragon decided to go on a little trip. Reasons? He needed inspiration for a new poem, the weather was perfect to go outside and explore, and his feet needed some exercise. So he packed up his stuff, put them on a stick and off he went on his journey. On his way, the Reluctant Dragon paid attention to his surroundings. Literally everything around him could be of inspiration.
“A poem to a flower? No, that’s been already made thousands of times.” He thought to himself. “A poem to the birds? No, there are lots of them, too. Ladybugs? Trees? Clouds? No, no, no! Many other poets beat me to that. I need something new. Something that doesn’t get a poem very often. Still don’t know what. The only thing I know, is that destiny will show it to me sooner or later, and I’ll love it.”
He kept walking for quite a while until in the distance, he spotted a kingdom. Curious, he approached it. It was the kingdom of Quaintinia, known for fearing dragons attacking it. He didn’t know if its people were still afraid of that, but he was willing to show them that he was a kind, harmless dragon. Once he entered the town, people were startled, but as soon as they knew the Reluctant Dragon’s true nature, they calmed down. Suddenly, a fanfare was heard. It announced the arrival of the queen, Nelly the Dragon.
“What’s going on, my subjects?” she asked.
Then, she gasped upon looking at the Reluctant Dragon.
“Oh, my! Another dragon!”
She went running toward him, and shook hands with him.
“Hey, how you doing? My name is Nelly, and I’m queen of this land. What’s yours? … Sorry, I sometimes get too excited and I speak very fast.”
“My name? Well… I’m the Reluctant Dragon, though my nephew calls me Max.”
“Nice to meet you, Max!”
“Same here, Nelly.”
Nelly turned to look and saw everyone watching at them.
“Um… excuse me? Your queen needs a little spare time to know this new dragon. Please go back to your thing. I won’t give orders to you for now.”
The crowd smiled and went back to mind their own business. Meanwhile, Max and Nelly went to have some fun alone. First they decided to have a picnic. Much to their surprise, they realized both of them loved tea parties! So they shared a couple of tea cups and ate cupcakes.
“Say, Max. Do you have some chocolates?” Nelly asked.
“Sure do!” The Reluctant Dragon answered. “I always carry plenty of them in my picnic basket.”
He opened his basket and pulled out a box of chocolates. Nelly was delighted! She grabbed the box from his hands and began eating them one by one.
“Why, you sure do love chocolate, don’t you?” The Reluctant Dragon asked.
“Yes, I do!” Nelly answered. “I love them as a gift. I’m a sucker for gifts, after all.”
“A sucker for gifts? That’s weird. Well, if you love chocolates and gifts, how about if I recite you a poem about chocolate?
“A poem about chocolates? Oh, I would love it! Go ahead.”
The Reluctant Dragon cleared his throat and began to recite his new poem:

“Sweet little chocolate,
Wonder of Mexican origin,
Your taste is to my tongue
More than I can imagine
Oh, sweet little chocolate
You take my cares away,
For, sweet little chocolate,
Your taste makes my day.”

Nelly was amazed with his poem.
“Wow! You’re pretty good at this!”
“Why, of course!” The Reluctant Dragon said. “Poetry is my passion. I write new poems every day, but recently, I ran out of inspiration.”
“Oh, no…”
“So I went on a trip to see what could give me inspiration to make more poems, and I think I found someone who has inspired me enough, and so much more.”
“And who is that?”
“You, my dear Nelly.”
“Aw, Max! How sweet!”
Both dragons hugged. Later, they went to do more fun activities, like dancing, belly bouncing and tickle fights! All that while singing a song about how similar they were. They had fallen in love. Finally, they sat on the grass. The Reluctant Dragon looked down and said:
“Are you wearing shoes, Nelly?”
“Well, yes. I’ve worn them since I can remember.” She said.
“I’ve never seen a dragon wearing shoes. Can you take them off?”
“Um… ok.”
Nelly took her shoes and socks off, and the Reluctant Dragons was able to see her feet.
“Wow…” he said
“Wow what?” Nelly asked.
“Your feet. They are beautiful.”
“Why, thanks, Max.”
He put his feet together with hers, and both interlocked their toes.
“You know? You shouldn’t wear shoes nor socks.” The Reluctant Dragon said.
“But… I like to wear them. Hey, why don’t you write a poem about them?”
“A poem about shoes and socks? I’ve never thought of that. Well, as you wish, Nelly.”
He cleared his throat and began to recite another poem:

“Shoes and socks.
Shoes and socks.
They protect your feet
As if they were a box.
When they get stinky
And a little sweaty,
Take them off and show your feet
Cause bare they look so neat!”

Again, Nelly was pleased with that poem.
“Oh, Max, you’re so adorable!” she said. “I wish I could fly away with you.”
“Fly?” The Reluctant Dragon asked. “But… I don’t have any wings.”
“Oh, you’re right. But, don’t worry, my wings are too tiny for me to fly with them.”
Suddenly, she had an idea.
“Please follow me!”
Both dragons boarded a pair of hot air balloons, one for each one, and made them fly using their fiery breath. They laughed together in excitement as they saw the clouds pass by. It was a magical ride for both of them! When they finished riding the balloons, it was already afternoon. They landed, and Nelly had somting she wanted to ask Max.
“Max… I had a great time with you.” Nelly said. “You’re the cutest dragon I’ve ever met! And I wish for you to Stay with me in Quaintinia as my King ”
“ Oh Nelly.” The Reluctant Dragon said. “You’re also the most beautiful dragon I’ve ever met. And if you wish me to Stay My dear then I humbly accept ”
“Oh, Max!”
She held him tight and gave him a BIG kiss on the lips, and so did the Reluctant Dragon. Thus, both dragons ruled Fairly over Quaintinia. One thing was for sure, they couldn’t wait to see what the Future held for them.
THE END


© Copyright 2022 MammothMutt (mammothmutt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2264634-The-Reluctant-Dragon-and-Nelly-Burning