*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266804-Fran-Smiled
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2266804
Flash Fiction
Fran Smiled

“Have you been in a fight?”

Rita looked up, “No,” she said frowning, “Why did you ask me that?”

“You look like you were in some kind of a fight, and lost,” Fran answered.

Rita looked down at herself, she was wearing her around the house clothes. Granted they were the same around the house clothes she had on yesterday, only clean underwear. Which wouldn’t be obvious to anyone, the second day clothes, nor the clean undies. Well, except for a juice stain on her shirt, and the rip in her jeans...

“I don’t feel it’s necessary to dress up just to do housework,” she said, a bit haughtily.

“What kind of housework is watching TV?” Fran asked.

“I’m on a break.”

“You seem to have been on a break often lately...” Fran said, then, “Never mind. I just came out to tell you Jeff’s picking me up to go to that craft show. He’ll be here in ten minutes.”

“Why are you telling me? Jeff picks you up all the time.”

“Well, this time David Abbott will be with him.”

“Oh...” Rita said.

“Just thought I’d let you know in a case they come in...” she turned and went back into her bedroom.

Rita bolted into hers.

When the doorbell rang, Fran came out, Rita had already answered the door. She was dressed in her best jeans, a really cute shirt, and appeared to have make-up on. Unfortunately, David was not with Jeff.

“Hey! Are you going with us to the fair?” Jeff asked Rita as he walked by.

“I’m not sure...” Rita said quietly.

“Well, you’re certainly invited if you want.”

“Maybe,” Rita said.

“So” Fran added, “is David in the car?”

“Yup,” said Jeff.

“You know, I think I will go...” said Rita.

Fran just smiled.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266804-Fran-Smiled