*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266833-Life-was-getting-hard
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2266833
Flash Fiction
Life Was Getting Hard

“At it again huh...” Jeff said, walking into the den smiling.

“Are you making fun of me?”

“No, but it doesn’t ever look like you’re having much fun.”

“Getting in shape is not any fun.”

“I love exercising and being active. I think it’s the best fun.”

“Well, I don’t.”

“Why are you suddenly so gung ho about this? You look fine to me.”

“I want to fit into my wedding dress, for the Gala. It’s just a little tight. I thought some exercise might help.”

“Ah,”

“Ah what?”

“Well the Gala is in a week, it takes a while to get in shape, more than a couple weeks...”

“How much more?”

“Months? Exercise just rearranges what you have. If you want to lose weight you need to go on a diet.”

“Do you think I need to lose some weight?” Jan asked, pointedly.

“No! I just don’t think it’s going to help for next week...”

“What? I have to exercise till next year to fit into my wedding dress again?!”

“Honey you have lovely dresses, why do you need to fit into that old thing again?”

“My wedding dress is an ‘old thing?’”

“Well, gotta go, Frank’s waiting for me at the golf course,” Jeff said, escaping.

Jan turned off the treadmill. ‘Serves him right for being so snippy!’ she said to herself. She was actually looking for an excuse to stop exercising anyway. She was only planning to wear her wedding dress to keep from shopping for something else. If there was anything she hated more than exercising, it was shopping.

“Oh, well,” she thought, pulling out the potato chips, “while I’m shopping for a new dress, I can pick up a shop vac so I can start in with that cellar!”

Life was good again.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2266833-Life-was-getting-hard