*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2267254-Sunday-Morning
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2267254
Flash Fiction
Sunday Morning

I sat at the window watching the snow fall. It was beautiful, even I had to admit that. Me, who hates snow. It was falling slowly, medium flakes, no wind, so they just drifted down as if they had nothing better to do but cover the earth in white.

Suddenly everything looked soft and clean. There were no messy piles next to my fence, no peeling paint on the fence, no broken branches on the tree. All jobs I kept meaning to get to last fall, and didn’t.

I actually wanted to sit and watch it for a while, it calmed me. Well, until I remembered what I was doing. Looking for the scrap of paper I scribbled down my pin number on the last time I had to change it. I looked around inside, there was no peace, no covering up undone jobs. Every drawer of my desk was messed up and spewing papers and pens and paper clips all over the rug, that obviously hadn’t been vacuumed in the recent past. Or even the un-recent past. I think the last time was before Christmas.

It was Sunday morning, all I wanted to do is relax and rest. I wanted to forget my hectic messy life for a while. I wanted to make pancakes. I was out of syrup.

You can’t have pancakes without syrup. And I can’t go buy syrup because I don’t even have enough cash on hand to buy syrup, and I can’t use my ATM card unless I find that paper.

I look back out the window. Suddenly something catches my eye in the pile of papers on the sill. It’s green! It’s a ten dollar bill! Sunday morning is saved, as it should be. Sunday morning, lovely soft snow, and soon, pancakes!
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2267254-Sunday-Morning