*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2268703-The-Noise
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2268703
Flash Fiction
Daily Flash Fiction: Prompt for 3-5-2022 300
Write a story that includes the line: “Did you hear that?”

The Noise

Alice shook her husband, “Did you hear that?” she whispered.

Ted opened one eye, Alice was sitting up, staring toward the door.

“What?” he said.

“Shhhhh!!! she whispered. “I think somebody’s in the house!”

“It’s probably one of the kids,” Ted whispered back, “probably sneaking snacks.”

“It’s from the living room. There aren’t any snacks in the living room, the kids know that. Listen!”

Ted could now hear it too, it sounded like someone trying to quietly open a closet. Ted’s desk was in the living room also. He had his wallet and other important things in there. Suddenly he was wide awake!

“Should we call the police? We should!” he whispered, picking up his phone.

Minutes later the police arrived, quietly in front of the house. One went to the front door and the other around back. Ted snuck down to the back door and quietly let the officer in, then stayed behind him as they snuck to the living room, still hearing the noises.

Whipping on the light, the policeman pointed his gun and said “Don’t move!”

Five year old Henry froze, and four year old Selma burst into tears!

Ten minutes later, Mom and Dad, feeling like idiots, had the kids calmed down, and the police left, trying hard not to laugh.

“What were you doing?” Dad asked.

Selma started, “Henry said you hide Christmas presents in the closet. We were trying to find some!”

“I’m sorry!” Henry said, “We shouldn’t have been sneaky. But we just wanted to know what we might be getting for Christmas...”

“I know your excited about Christmas,” Mom said, “But don’t you think it’s a bit early?”

The kids looked up, confused, so Mom added, “Christmas comes in the winter, at the end of December... right now it’s still summer vacation...”
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2268703-The-Noise