*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2268857-Taking-Care-of-the-Mice
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2268857
Flash Fiction
Taking Care of the Mice

“OK! It’s been two days and I think it’s working!” Dad said.

“I think so too!” Mom said, excited. “I haven’t seen signs of mice since the day you turned it on. I’m so glad, I hate mouse traps! Even those that just catch them are nasty. You end up sending the poor little things off somewhere they don’t know, away from their family and friends. They probably end up food for some bigger animal...”

“You are too kind hearted. Mice are nasty, sneaky little buggers!”

“They’re just mice, living beings who didn’t choose to be mice, they’re just trying to live,” Mom said, sternly.

“You have your opinions, I respect them, but I can have some of my own. In the meantime I’m happy to solve our mice problem in a way that works for both of us. The noise is silent to us, yet will keep the mice out of our house. They certainly won’t be missed.”

“It was a great solution, and one we both agree with.”

Five-year-old Danny listened from in front of the TV. He knew the mice were gone, he hadn’t seen one for days. Now he knew why. “I’m going out in the back yard,” he yelled to his parents. One place he knew they wouldn’t follow him.

He immediately went to his tree house. “Are you here?” he said out loud.

Six mice came out from under the bench. “What was that?” Terry, the oldest mouse asked.

“It’s something they got to chase you out of the house. Are you all OK?”

“We’re fine, but there’s nothing to eat here...”

Mom and Dad got used to Danny always taking his snacks out to his tree house. Though, they did often wonder how he could eat so much, and still never get fat!
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2268857-Taking-Care-of-the-Mice