*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2274270-Life-is-Good
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2274270
Flash Fiction
Life is Good

Dan woke up on the sofa. He felt a tad guilty, he was supposed to be watching the kids. But, he thought, in his own defense, they’re not babies anymore! Sharon treats them like they are, but at seven and six they are certainly not! Better check on them though...

As he walked to the kitchen, from still down the hall he could see disaster. His first thought, were the kids OK? He rushed to the door, catching sight of both Andy and Sarah standing at the table. They were smiling, they were fine.

The second thought was ‘What the heck happened!’

There was not one thing he could see that didn’t have flour on it! Or no, it seemed to be sugar? There were many dishes here and there, and silverware, and peanut butter... his special peanut butter that he insisted they get for him since he didn’t consider Beboo’s Peanutty Peanut Butter real peanut butter. And there was peanut butter on much of the other kitchen things, including the refrigerator! The refrigerator!

Remembering they were still children, he stopped for a moment and took a breath, then he asked in his best pretend everything is still normal voice, “What happened here?”

“We did it!” they both said at once.

Knowing that the fact that they owned up to the mess made it better, but still pretty upset, he said, quietly “Why did you do this?”

“To surprise you!” Andy said, still smiling ear to ear.

“We know it’s your favorite!” Sarah added, walking a small plate over with a smushy sandwich on it, "We thought we’d surprise you when you woke up.”

Dan’s heart melted. He went down on his knees holding out his hands, “Thank you!”

They both ran in for the hug. Life was good again.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2274270-Life-is-Good