*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2275438-Yard-Work
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2275438
Flash Fiction
Yard Work

Laying on the barn roof watching the clouds float by, one of my favorite activities. Of course because it’s so relaxing and beautiful, watching those fluffy white clouds change shapes as they float through the blue. But, truth be told, it also puts me just out of sight of everyone who wants me to help them. Fetch that, rake the other end, bring me my... you get it.

Today was yard day. Not just mow the grass day either it seemed, my parents sounded like they were rearranging the whole yard. Nobody had asked me to help so I decided to just stay hidden until I got the gist of how much work was going to be involved. Apparently teenage boys are often thought of as workable muscle machines, when there’s work to be done...

As I lay there, out of sight of the ground, I started watching one oddly interesting cloud. It was higher than the rest and must have had more wind up there as it was changing very quickly. As I watched it, it seemed to look like a dog, then a tree, then a rocket ship... Suddenly started slowing, then getting lower in the sky.

Since it’s original path would take it right over me, I suddenly got uneasy watching it. Was it actually speeding up? And the edges, were they getting darker? I sat up, I could actually feel my heart beating faster. The cloud seemed to be coming right toward me now.

Suddenly a yell, “Jack! Get down here! We need you for something!” my mother had seen me.

I looked back up, that cloud was just passing over my head now, I swear, it seemed to be sticking out it’s tongue...

Stinking yard work...

© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2275438-Yard-Work