*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2277311-Lost
by Sumojo
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #2277311
Saffron is missing.
Words 645

Aurelia and Joel couldn’t believe they were to be blessed with a longed-for child of their own, the day the doctor told her the incredible news. Aurelia had thought her swelling belly was because of menopause or something more sinister until she felt the first movements of her child. The other women in the commune gathered around to view the ultrasound photograph of this little miracle.

Her parents called her Saffron because she brought sunshine into their barren lives. Saffron was fair, her hair almost white and yet in the sunshine it gleamed like spun gold. Even her nature was sunny and when she bestowed her smile on anyone they would feel the warmth of that smile spread throughout their very souls.

The commune worked together to make life as easy as possible for each other. Each one worked hard and all the jobs of the farm were shared. The children became everyone’s responsibility, and many watchful eyes were always alert in case a child wandered.

It was midsummer and the corn in the fields was as high as an elephant’s eye, as the song goes. Five-year-old Saffron easily entertained herself alongside her parents as they worked in the fields. Aurelia cautioned her not to enter the cornfields alone, warning her it was easy to get lost amongst the towering plants.

But one day as the little girl played hide and seek with her friends, she slipped unnoticed into the corn, intending to only go in a just a little way.

It was a hot day, but there in the shade and coolness under the drooping leaves of the tall plants, she continued to walk further, until she could no longer hear the calls of her friends as they shouted out her name and for her to show them her hiding place. But the warm sun had made her sleepy. She lay down in the semi-darkness and closed her eyes.

Evening chilled the air and Saffron woke, shivering in her thin, yellow cotton dress. Her teddy bear’s golden fur absorbed the cold night air. She cuddled him to warm them both, and the lost little girl whispered, “I think we’re lost, Teddy. I wish I had a jacket like yours to keep me wam.”

As the sun rose, a mist hovered over the cornfield. Saffron woke up again. She shivered and stood, still unsure of which way to walk, each direction appeared the same.

The mist began to burn off as the sun rose higher in the sky. Saffron picked a ripe cob of corn, removed the fine strands of silk, and began to eat the plump, yellow kernels. The sweet juice filled her dry mouth and moistened her parched lips. It was then she heard the sound of what she knew was a drone overhead. She stood as tall as she could and waved and shouted, but in her yellow dress and her fair hair, she blended into the yellow and green cornfield. The drone passed over her several times before flying in the opposite direction.

Night fell again and Saffron gripped Teddy hard, wiping her tears on his yellow fur. She could hear the commune members shouting her name but they didn’t hear her answering calls.
The following day the drone made another pass overhead. She held Teddy as high as she could and waved her little arms madly.

Suddenly she heard rustling and corn stalks breaking before her father walked through the rows of corn and gathered his precious child in his arms. After ensuring she was fine and had not been bitten by rats or snakes, he kissed her.
“Come on, little one, let’s get you home. Thank goodness for Teddy in his bright red coat.


Written for
FORUM
The Whatever Contest -- Closed for Now  (13+)
This irregular contest will change each round. Nature poem? Horror story? Whatever.
#2232242 by Schnujo is Late to Lannister

Prompt: Write something with the color yellow as a domanant theme, topic, or idea in honor of the July 21, 2022 promotions to Preferred Author.
Written for "The Whatever Contest." *Right* "The Whatever Contest -- Closed for Now
Word/Line Count:
Fiction/Nonfiction:
© Copyright 2022 Sumojo (sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2277311-Lost