*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2277573-Go-Figure
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2277573
Flash Fiction
Go Figure

Someone was at the door, as I started over, the phone rang. Picking it up I said hello, continuing to the door. Then the person on the other end of the phone started screaming at me!

First, I had no idea who it was! I had already turned the knob on the door, so the door opened with me in shock, listening to someone swearing at me through the phone. Let’s add to that I had no idea who the person at the door was either!

I held up my finger indicating “hold on a minute” and the man at the door nodded. He seemed safe, friendly looking, my age-ish, plus I belonged to a gym, he looked like I could take him, if I had to. I didn’t let him actually in, of course. I’m not totally stupid.

I tried to butt into the phone rampage, but she was screaming. I was trying to say she had a wrong number, but couldn’t get a word in. I would have hung up, but I was starting to worry about her, plus the strange man at the door could hear her too.

Suddenly, he took the phone right out of my hand, handing me a flower he had apparently picked from my garden... and holding up his finger, this time, so I would wait.

“Excuse me!” he said in a lovely serious voice, “You need to calm down this instant or you will make yourself ill! Please call back when you are in control,” and he hung up the now silent phone.

We never found out who that was. The man was looking for a phone to call his brother because he’d a flat tire in front of my house.

We’ve been married now for forty-seven years. Go figure!
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2277573-Go-Figure